Position Reports To: CFO
Direct Reports: None
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the early stages of launching a $40 million Capital Campaign to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the Center for Invertebrate Research and Conservation (CIRC) in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can’t make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren’t just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
FLSA: Full Time Exempt
Salary/Hourly Rate: $45,000-$50,000 DOE
Position Summary: The Butterfly Pavilion Accountant will be responsible for AP/AR, Account Reconciliations, and posting monthly journal entries to the accounting system. Accountant will also assist CFO and other staff with filing monthly sales tax, invoicing customers, and dashboard reporting.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Review all AP for appropriate documentation, and assure approval prior to payment.
- Process weekly AP to ensure timely payments
- Maintain files and reports for AR/AP, and bank statements.
- Ensure all revenue is recorded daily.
- Process accounts receivable, deposits, and reconciles bank, debit, and Credit Card accounts.
- Distribute signed checks as required.
- Enter monthly Journal Entries including payroll.
- Answer all vendor inquiries.
- Prepares and files monthly State, local, and City Sales and Use tax.
- Team approach to work environment.
- Solution oriented problem resolution.
- Reports to CFO
- Represent Butterfly Pavilion in a professional manner to clients and potential clients in order to demonstrate our cultural commitment to Butterfly Pavilion mission.
- Develop a working knowledge of all aspects of Butterfly Pavilion business, including education, research and conservation efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Project/Time management
- Department Knowledge
- Detail Oriented
- Building Teams
- Conflict Resolution
- Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- General ledger experience preferred
- Proficient technology skills, including advance skills with Microsoft Office, and Excel
- Experience with QuickBooks
- Understanding of and Experience with integrations with other databases.
- Nonprofit Experience highly preferred.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of the Accountant, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the Accountant will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the Accountant.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate loud.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions within this position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the Accountant.
While performing the responsibilities of Accountant the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Additional daily physical requirements can include the following:
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time doing computer work.
- Must be able to operate a variety of office equipment.
- Ability to use telephone and computer to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume AND Cover Letter to the following link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/butterflies/jobs/1556663-20970
Position is open until filled. No phone calls or drop in’s, please.Apply Here