Assistant Manager of Social Media and Communications
Denver Botanic Gardens
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Full Time Assistant Manager of Social Media and Communications in our Marketing Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
Job Summary: The Assistant Manager of Social Media and Communications leads all social media storytelling that showcases Denver Botanic Gardens’ important initiatives and programs across multiple locations within horticulture, research and conservation, agriculture, art, education, special events and library sciences. This position develops, publishes and engages with all social media content across Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Twitter. The role will maintain and grow the Gardens’ position as a cultural and environmental leader by increasing social media engagement and finding brand-focused ways to join trending topics and conversations with significant emphasis on video. Additional responsibilities include occasional media relations support, copy editing and a few administrative tasks for the Marketing and Social Responsibility department.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Task division: 80% social media, 10% copy editing, 10% media relations
- Leads the ideation of social media content.
- Produces more than 30 social media posts per week (including Reels, Stories, TikTok, photo posts and the sharing of press articles and UGC.
- Films and edit short social media videos via smartphone on topics ranging from educational to virtual tours, trending audio, recurring staff series, memes and more. The Associate Director of Communications may assist with and/or produce some videos.
- Monitors and engages with social media channels daily into early evening, two weekends per month and during some holidays.
- Works with other departments and outside partners to generate social media content.
- Works at Chatfield Farms once a week in the spring to fall for optimal social media asset gathering.
- Copy edits text provided by Marketing Manager including website copy, volunteer e-blasts and creative service job tickets using both AP and the Gardens’ branded style guides.
- Assists the Associate Director of Communications with occasional press release writing, showing press around the Gardens and interview back-up for general topics (TV, radio, phone, email).
- Assists in occasional weekend and evening onsite hours for special events or press visits.
- Executes administrative tasks for the Marketing and Social Responsibility department.
- Maintains a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members, visitors and others.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at Denver Botanic Gardens, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be a self-starter, ideator and be passionate about keeping up with social media best practices and the Gardens’ content performance; following peer and inspirational accounts; and jumping on fast-moving trends.
- Ability to do video editing on smartphone and/or desktop.
- Adept with the AP Style Guide.
- Ability to occasionally be on camera for press interviews and social media.
- Capable to manage multiple projects under tight and sometimes competing deadlines with the flexibility to shift gears when needed.
- Must maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Must be able to read, write, understand and communicate in English. Spanish-language skills a plus.
- Must have proven excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with the public.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- Must be a positive representative of the Gardens both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- Bachelors degree in marketing, communications, or journalism from a four-year college.
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have minimum 3 years’ experience in professional social media production, video editing and copy editing.
- Experience being on camera for press interviews a plus.
· Effective immediately, Denver Botanic Gardens will require new employees to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or request a variance for medical or religious reasons (please contact Human Resources for the necessary forms if you wish to apply for an exemption). Please provide proof of your vaccination to orientation.
Denver Botanic Gardens has an incredible benefits package for eligible employees!
Our major benefits include a choice of Medical Plans, a Dental and Vision Plan and Life Insurance Plan. We have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a Healthcare Spending Account (HSA).
The Gardens offers a generous Retirement Savings Plan with Company contribution of 6% after one year of service for eligible participants.
The Gardens also offers paid holidays, vacation, sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and an RTD ECO pass.
For eligible employees, The Gardens employment also includes a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens Membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!
Compensation: $28.52 per hour