Associate Director Operations / Chief Building Engineer
Denver Botanic Gardens
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Full Time Associate Director, Operations Maintenance in our Operations Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
The Associate Director of Operations acts as a customer-oriented liaison between Denver Botanic Gardens and the public, the Operations department and other departments ensuring a positive and pleasant visitor experience and the safety, cleanliness, functionality and visual appeal of the facilities.
This position has responsibilities in continuous improvement of the preventative maintenance program, providing technical expertise and support for modern building systems, HVAC and lighting controls and equipment with dedicated attention to energy monitoring and improvements, is expected to resolve problems that arise in the normal course of the workday and may involve the negotiation and resolution of problems where exceptional degrees of discretion, judgment, and specialized knowledge are required.
Additionally, this position provides leadership, positive example, strong communication and team building skills to staff. This position performs hands-on and supervisory work over trade staff and employees involved in maintenance, repair, and construction at the Denver Botanic Gardens.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the day to day activity of the entire Operations team, in conjunction with Director, including: staff management, project work, contractor coordination, inter-department communication and standards establishment for all construction projects.
- Recommends, scopes and estimates capital repairs, equipment repair and replacement. Provides oversight of same. This is a hands-on position.
- Coordinates with members of the Operations staff and the Director,
- Position participates in the development of the departmental budget.
- Works to innovate and create improved systems and processes.
- Plans, assigns, and evaluates the work of staff members, provides technical expertise to staff, and recommends changes in practices and procedures to increase operating efficiency and expedite workflow.
- Develops or modifies work plans, methods, and procedures and determines work priorities.
- Manages the snow program for Denver Botanic Gardens.
- Assigns and distributes work, reviews work for accuracy and completeness, and returns assignments with recommendations for proper completion.
- Responsible for vendor and contractor management.
- Resolves problems encountered during daily operations and determines standards for problem resolution including escalations from clients.
- Provides performance feedback and formally evaluates the work of employees.
- Develops, supervises, mentors staff. Provides training and work instruction.
- Inspects and approves staff and contract work in progress and upon completion to ensure compliance with approved plans and specifications.
- Assists with the creation/implementation and coordination of assigned projects utilizing contractors, vendors and staff to apply timely repairs to facility components.
- Serves in the capacity of Director of Operations as assigned.
- Responds to issues on assigned projects and advises pertinent issues to Director.
- Maintains a positive, helpful and solution orientated demeanor when interacting with staff, members and visitors.
- Regular attendance at the worksite is required. As with all positions at Denver Botanic Gardens, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively present information to leaders, public groups, and/or board of directors.
- Must have proven ability to effectively motivate and lead staff and manage vendors.
- Must possess strong leadership and communication skills, both written and spoken, excellent human relations skills; strong organizational and computer skills and abilities.
- Must have proven, excellent customer service, strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans when necessary.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of the Gardens, both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- High school diploma / GED and/or combination of education and equivalent experience is required. College degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of proven effective experience supervising a team of people to excellence is required. Experience should include maintenance field experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience utilizing building automation systems, lighting control systems, fire systems, rooftop units service and installation experience, and prior experience using automated work order systems required.
- A minimum 2 years building operations and maintenance related experience and/or training; Experience with LEED, Energy Management, City and County of Denver Building Code, OSHA and Worker’s Compensation regulations, and preferred possession of at least one of the following certificates issued by the City and County of Denver: Heating and Ventilating Journeyman, Refrigeration Journeyman or Stationary Engineer Mechanical, current Universal CFC License, boiler maintenance experience, Electrical, Plumbing, Irrigation licensing or certification.
- Position requires a valid driver’s license.
Up to 10% travel required. Requires the ability to travel to remote locations (or other Garden locations) where environment may vary significantly.
Denver Botanic Gardens has an incredible benefits package for eligible employees!
Our major benefits include a choice of Medical Plans, a Dental and Vision Plan and Life Insurance Plan. We have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a Healthcare Spending Account (HSA).
The Gardens offers a generous Retirement Savings Plan with Company contribution of 6% after one year of service for eligible participants.
The Gardens also offers paid holidays, vacation, sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and an RTD ECO pass.
For eligible employees, The Gardens employment also includes a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens Membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!
Compensation: $85,000 - $100,000 Annualized