Bilingual Program Instructor
Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: This position teaches or supports Education programs in English and Spanish at Denver Botanic Gardens, schools and other locations. Program Instructors work alongside volunteers and staff to implement interactive, hands-on, plant-based curriculum to PreK-12th grade students. Programs include but are not limited to school field trip visits, offsite outreach, guided tours, summer camps and special events. Additionally, this position coordinates program logistics, maintains materials, keeps accurate records and supports other program efforts.
Career Type: Full-time
Compensation: $16.25 – $16.75 per hour
Education/Experience: Prior knowledge and previous experience is required, including at least a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in biology, or education or a related field, and at least three months experience teaching and managing a group of students (preK-12) in a formal or informal environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Written and oral fluency in Spanish and English is required. Flexibility in changing circumstances and high energy required. Must be capable of moving and communicating for a long period of time. Must be capable of working independently and in a team environment. Must be available to work flexible hours during work week and occasional weekends. Must currently possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Colorado State driver’s license, plus an acceptable driving record. Reliable access to a dependable, insured, and privately-owned vehicle is necessary. Must currently qualify, or able to qualify, as a child care worker, including CPR and First Aid certification. Familiarity with Microsoft Windows based systems and the Microsoft office based software (Word, Excel, Outlook, and scheduling software) required. Knowledge and experience in teaching a variety of age levels and diverse populations using a hands-on, constructivist philosophy is desirable. Previous experience in a school setting or as a licensed teacher is desirable. Experience teaching biological, botanical, or environmental topics is desirable.
Essential Job Duties:
- Lead guided programs at Denver Botanic Gardens locations to groups of elementary-age students in either English or Spanish.
- Provide program introductions in English and/or Spanish to groups of elementary-age students, teachers and parent chaperones.
- Teach Cultivation Cruiser programs in English and/or Spanish to groups of PreK-12th grade students at area schools.
- Prepare and deliver assigned programs, including but not limited to onsite guided tours, Children’s Garden drop in activities, family events, and homeschool days.
- Set up and take down program materials.
- Maintain a safe environment for visitors or participants and address first aid issues.
- Send out program confirmations to teachers and volunteers.
- Work in coordination with horticulture staff with care of living plants used in programs.
- Communicate with parents in regard to their child’s presence at camp or other programs.
Other Job Duties:
- Assist in developing and revising program curriculum.
- Assist with opening and closing setup of the Children’s Garden or with monitoring materials and visitors in the Children’s Garden.
- Assist with other children’s programs as needed.
- Coordinate programs and volunteers as needed.
- Keep accurate records of attendance, programs, confirmations or other matters as needed.
- Work to assure the highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens visitors.
- Maintain satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others.
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Benefits: Major benefits include choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA) ; a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.Apply Here