Swallow Hill Music Association
Job Title: Café/Bar Staff
Reports to: Venue and Production Manager
Classification: Part-time, with sick time accrual
Compensation: $16/hr, 10-15 hours per week
About Swallow Hill:
For more than 40 years, Swallow Hill has presented and promoted concerts, offered music lessons, and provided music education in under-resourced communities. Based in Denver, we offer a unique suite of services:
- Live Performances: We produce live and live-streamed concerts, virtual open stage events and hootenannies. Musical genres produced on our stages include Americana and roots, as well as singer-songwriters, world music, family friendly, rock, bluegrass, classical, country, jazz, blues and spoken word.
- Acoustic Music Lessons: We’re the country’s second largest acoustic music school, providing in-person and online private lessons and classes. Our 40 teachers, all professional musicians, teach in an experiential style and specialize in stringed instruments, percussion, piano and voice.
We teach all age groups, and our students range from beginners to accomplished musicians who are honing their skills. The wide variety of genres we teach include: Americana and roots, as well as bluegrass, folk, world music, jazz, blues, rock, country and pop.
- Community Outreach: Because we’re passionate about making music accessible, we offer music education and experiences in under-resourced communities. Our programming includes Little Swallows ECE music education for preschoolers, workshops and interactive performances in K-12 schools and music therapy for our aging population, veterans and people living with developmental or mental health challenges.
The Quinlan Café at Swallow Hill is a simple bar setup which provides a selection of non-alcoholic beverages, along with beer, wine and cocktails. Pre-packaged foods are also sold. This position is responsible for running the café/bar in the evenings, both for school and concerts. Shifts begin at 4:45pm on weekdays, and 530-6pm on weekends, and are approximately 4-5 hours in length.
- Welcomes customers and determines their interests and needs.
- Educates customers by presenting and explaining the drink menu; answering questions.
- Sells drinks and snacks by identifying options and desires.
- Prepares and sells mixed drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques.
- Operates with sufficient fiscal responsibility in relation to complimentary items and makes sure each inventory item that leaves the cafe is notated, whether it is via sale, comp, “shrink,” or other.
- Communicates cordially and effectively with volunteers and assigns tasks as needed.
- Generates revenue by communication with potential customers; defining new and expanded services and products.
- Maintains inventories by replenishing cooler and standup refrigerator supply; stocking cups; maintaining supplies, pastries, and cookies for bar.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; calling for repairs.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; suggesting and implementing changes; maintaining and improving the appearance of the bar.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities or TIPS training.
- Values diversity and contributes to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Google Suite.
- Proficient with Square.
Education and Experience:
- 1-3 years of experience in large-scale event planning and production management.
- Working knowledge of running a bar/café.
- Strong self‐initiative, problem solving skills, time management, and attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills and leadership.
- Ability to obtain a Colorado TIPS certification.
- The candidate will be required to use their personal vehicle on occasion, requiring a reliable vehicle, clean driving record and valid driver’s license.
- This position requires walking, stooping, bending, reaching, and standing for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- This position also requires hearing to accurately understand information at normal spoken word levels in a potentially loud environment and visual observation for reviewing, checking, preparing, and maintaining written and computer files.
- Manual dexterity to operate standard office, data entry, and other related facility and production equipment is required.
Swallow Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Swallow Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Café Staff in the subject line. No phone calls, please.