The Urban Farm
Job Description: Summer Camp Counselor
TUF Mission Statement
The Urban Farm (TUF) inspires excitement for learning through practical work experience in a farm setting while fostering respect, responsibility, curiosity, compassion, and grit. TUF works to remove barriers to entry, such as location, land access, and finances, for urban youth to participate in and learn about agriculture.
This position is responsible for facilitating weekly day camps for youth in a farm setting with both animal and plant interaction, crafts, and games. We are looking for fun enthusiastic, attentive Camp counselors to lead, support, educate and motivate campers as they enjoy all that the TUF’s farm camps have to offer. This position will report to the Education & Livestock Coordinator of The Urban Farm and work collaboratively with other counselors as needed.
Dates & Times
● All Counselor Training: June 1 – 4 |Times TBD
● Storybook Farm (ages 4-5) 8:30am -12:30pm| Mon – Fri | June 1 – July 2 & July 12 – Aug 20
● All Around the Farm (ages 6-8) 8:30am – 3:30pm| Mon – Fri | June 1 – July 2 & July 12 – Aug 20
● Urban Farmer (ages 9-12) 8:30am – 3:30pm| Mon – Fri | June 1 – July 2 & July 12 – Aug 13
● All Counselors will have 1 week off from July 5-9th
● Lesson and activity preparation.
● Independently supervise up to 10 campers (ages 4-5, 6-8 and 9-12) all day, sometimes also working a “Junior Counselor” (ages 13-17).
● Monitoring campers to ensure compliance with camp rules and prevent accidents.
● TUF will provide counselors with a daily schedule with instructions for games, lessons, activities, and crafts, but we are open to suggestions.
● Eat snack and lunch with campers (all food and water is brought from home).
● Provide basic first aid (cuts, scrapes, stings).
● Report details of incidents such rule violations or accidents with parents and camp staff; discuss camper participation and concerns with parents as needed.
● Take photos of campers during the day and upload them to a shared drive.
● Be prepared for full days of outdoor activities, often in hot weather and in some areas with limited shade. Camp is not cancelled due to rain or inclement weather, activities will be moved indoors or sheltered areas.
● Cleaning, maintaining and ensuring proper use of camp facilities, tools, and equipment. Minimum Qualifications
● At least 18 years old.
● High School Diploma, equivalent, or active enrollment in school.
● Previous work or volunteer experience caring for 4 or more children ages 4-18 at once.
● Patient, responsible, respectful of nature and animals, and a good role model at all times.
● Able to engage children with enthusiasm and ensure their safety.
● Confident and capable when asked to work independently.
● Able to provide your own housing and transportation to and from the site each day.
● Not eligible for hire if ever convicted of child abuse, a crime of violence, unlawful sexual behavior, a drug-related felony (past 5 years), or a pattern of misdemeanors (past 10 years).
Desired Skills and Qualifications
● Previous camp counselor or youth education experience. ● Bachelor’s degree or active pursuit in environmental science, horticulture, education, agriculture or similar field.
● Education or prior work experience involving livestock, animals, gardening and/or horticulture.
● Experience working or volunteering outdoors (especially in environmental education)
● Flexible, adaptable, and able to remain calm when unexpected situations arise.
● Self-starting, and quickly able find ways to make yourself helpful when working as part of a team .
● Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills.
● First aid, CPR, or similar training is a plus. Physical Requirements
● Ability to lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
● Requires prolonged walking, sitting, and standing.
● Requires a full range of physical motion to complete tasks.
● Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close to far vision, to include depth perception and visual accuracy.
● $15-16 per hour based on experience and anticipated level of responsibility.
● Total hours for All Around the Farm & Urban Farmer Camp Counselors – 35 hours/per week
● Total Hours for Storybook Farm Camp Counselors – 20/per week
Send a brief letter of interest and resume to Rachel Livingston, TUF’s Education & Livestock Coordinator at Rachel@theurbanfarm.org. In the letter of interest, please indicate any camp weeks that you are UNAVAILABLE to work. In addition, please indicate if you are interested in a particular camp/age group as times and ages vary.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until May 15, 2021.
Please use the subject line “YourLast Name_CampCounselor”.
The Urban Farm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. Employment is pending successfully passing a criminal background check.Apply Here