Communications and Media Relations Manager- Bilingual
Denver Art Museum
Mission: The Denver Art Museums mission is to enrich the lives of present and future generations through the acquisition, presentation, and preservation of works of art, supported by exemplary scholarship and public programs related to both its permanent collections and to temporary exhibitions presented by the museum.
As an institution, we believe the Denver Art Museum is both a platform for and an amplifier of the voices of people of all races. We acknowledge that Black lives matter and communities of color including Latinx, Indigenous, Black, and others have been underrepresented in art museums over decades, both internally and externally. We are committed to elevating all voices, artworks and perspectives and strive to support racial equity inside and out. Candidates with a firm commitment to our institutional position are encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates are expected to exemplify the DAMs internal values, which include being dynamic, respectful, inclusive, creative, and curious. The ability to maintain effective and positive working relationships with visitors, employees, volunteers, representatives of public and private entities, policy making bodies, and contractors is critical to the success of this position.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $80,000 depending on experience.
The Communications/Media Relation Manager develops and implements the Museums media relations strategy and in collaboration with key staff, develops and implements social media content, and maintains the Museums crisis communications plan. The successful candidate will be bilingual in Spanish and leverage the Museums exhibitions, programs, staff expertise and industry leadership to maximize the Museums visibility, increase attendance and build its reputation within the regional and national contexts. Candidates fluent in reading/writing in both Spanish and English is required. This position reports to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs.
- MEDIA RELATIONS: Develop and implement creative and effective local, regional and national media relations strategies to generate measurable coverage and enhanced reputation for the Museum and its programs in broadcast, print and digital outlets. Initiate and/or oversee the development of media materials for exhibitions, events and programs. Collaborate with media relations consultants and assist in managing agency work.
- SPOKESPERSON: Serve as a Museum spokesperson in English and Spanish.
- SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT DEVELOPMENT: In collaboration with other Communications staff, develop and implement social media content, including coordination of content developed by institutional contributors and drafting Spanish-language social media content.
- CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS AND ISSUES MANAGEMENT: In collaboration with the Director of Communications and other Museum leaders, routinely test and keep updated the Museums crisis communication plan. Serve as a member of the museums crisis communications team including developing messaging and strategies to respond to unforeseen issues
- INTERNAL DEPARTMENT REPRESENTATIVE: Represent the Communications team in inter-department planning sessions and committees and represent Communications Department activities and objectives in those conversations.
- SUPERVISORY ROLE: Supervise junior staff, interns and staff aides when applicable.
- MUSEUM EVENT ATTENDANCE: Attend Museum events or media opportunities outside general office hours, as needed.
- TEAM PLAYER: Contribute to a positive and energetic working environment.
- Collaborates with Museum staff on projects and/or initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop materials and messaging that reach diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of local/regional/national news media landscape and demonstrated ability to shift course with future changes.
- Ability to demonstrate 5 years experience in media relations and communications, and measurable, high-level media placements for previous employers and clients.
- Ability to develop materials and communicate.
- Self-directed with proven problem-solving skills.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and complete multiple tasks.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to produce fast, accurate, and lively copy.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills. Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle diverse responsibilities.
- Excellent computer and word-processing skills.
- Experience working as part of a team in a creative and collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with both AP and the Chicago Manual of Style.
- 5 years of experience working for a public relations agency or organizational communications department.
- Candidates who are bilingual in Spanish required.
Material and Equipment Directly Used
- PC, copier, fax machine, email
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Sitting, carrying, reaching, handling, talking, hearing, feeling, eye/hand coordination, repetitive motion
- Subject to many interruptions
- Fast-paced environment, can be high pressure
A comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, 100% paid life insurance, short-and long term disability insurance. Paid time-off for vacation, sickness and holidays. Two weeks paid parental leave. 403 (b) retirement plan with immediate eligibility to contribute and, after one year of employment, an employer contribution and match. A free RTD Eco Pass and a free membership to the DAM at the family level.
It is the policy of the Denver Art Museum to prohibit discrimination against any person or organization based on age, race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, gender, veteran status, political service, affiliation or disability.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Link to description and application: