Cook I – FT
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Cook I – FT
Do you have a passion for science and cooking?
With a pinch of creativity, a dash of fun, and a sprinkle of science, you can cook up a recipe for an amazing experience working for the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.
We are looking for a responsible Part Time Cook to help prepare quality foods while providing excellent customer service and support to Museum staff and guests. This position will execute the preparation, cooking, and presentation of foods for the Museum. A great candidate should be able to problem solve, meet deadlines, and help manage the day-to-day stresses of a busy kitchen. We are passionate about controlling as much waste as possible and this position plays a vital role!
Daily Food Production
- Executes daily food production ensuring that recipes are followed as directed by the culinary management team.
- Ensures all food prepared meets DMNS quality.
- Communicates shortages and overages of products as needed.
- Ensures all equipment is working properly prior to shift and reports any equipment problems to culinary management team in a timely manner.
- Ensures complete daily breakdown, sanitation, and restocking of workstation.
- Knows and is able to describe what is being served, including all ingredients and some nutritional information.
- Engages with the guests and positively adds to their Museum experience.
- Anticipates guest needs and responds to any allergies and dietary needs both efficiently and quickly.
- Ensures daily food service culinary operations meets or exceeds client expectations as evaluated by client feedback.
- Interacts with Museum guests and fellow staff in a courteous and professional manner.
- Achieves and maintains a clean and sanitary environment.
- Demonstrates and promotes safety awareness.
- Follows all health department rules and regulations.
- Follows all cleaning schedules set by culinary management team.
- Ensures the cleanliness of the kitchen at all times by keeping workspace and service area maintained and using the “clean as you go method”.
- Ensures proper DMNS Food & Beverage hygiene/uniform standards are adhered to 100% of the time.
- Ability to arrive to work on time as scheduled.
- Standing or walking up to 8 hours in a shift.
- Lifting requirements: Medium physical effort required by handling up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently.
- High volume production kitchen. Can be hot, cold, humid and/or slippery.
- Strenuous physical activities like moving tables, chairs and clearing dirty dishes.
- May require frequent walking up and down stairs during set-up and during events.
- Safely operate and maintain: fans, boilers, fryer, chillers, slicers, ovens, food prep equipment.
- Exposure to sanitation supplies.
Other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidate will have:
- At least 3 years of experience as a line cook in a high volume restaurant/cafeteria setting.
- Track record for being dependable.
- A good attitude, and can effectively communicate with colleagues to work as a team member.
- Passion for culinary excellence and commitment to deliver it.
- Ability to take direction, initiative, and solve issues as they may arise.
- Ability to read and respond to emails in a timely manner.
Perks and Benefits of working at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science include:
A comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage. 100% paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance. Paid time-off for vacation, sickness and holidays. 403(b) Retirement Plan with immediate eligibility to contribute and, after one year of employment, an employer contribution and match. An RTD Eco pass and a free Family+ membership to the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
The full range of perks and benefits can be found HERE.
- We love science.
- We are curious, creative and playful.
- We cultivate relationships with each other, diverse communities, the environment and for our future.
- We think critically and act with empathy.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as soon as possible – position is open only until filled. Applications will be reviewed in the order received.
Applications may only be accepted electronically via the Museum’s website www.dmns.org.
Due to the high volume of people who apply, we are not able to respond to specific inquiries regarding your application status.
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is an equal opportunity employer. The Museum is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff committed to serving the needs of all our visitors and we encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds.