Costume Design Assistant
Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities
Costume Design Assistant
Length of Engagement: December 11, 2023- April 19, 2024 (with potential for subsequent seasonal agreements)
The Arvada Center for the Arts & Humanities celebrates and elevates the human condition with engaging arts, humanities, education, and entertainment that expand the cultural landscape for everyone. The Arvada Center strives to create and maintain an inclusive and welcoming environment for all artists, actors, staff, volunteers, and patrons.
Reporting to the Costume Shop Manager, this seasonal position is responsible for assisting the Costume Designer with the implementation of their design, and acts as a liaison between the designer and the Costume Shop.
- Develops a thorough understanding of all aspects of each production relative to its costume design
- Assists the designer with presentation of their research
- Assists with developing costume breakdowns and other design paperwork
- Attends all fittings and compiles notes to be communicated with designer and shop staff
- Shopping, purchasing, rental coordination, and record keeping
- Acts as liaison between the designer and the shop throughout the build process
- Coordinates with the Wardrobe Supervisor to create run tracks
- Attends dress rehearsals and compiles notes for alterations needed
- Assists with construction and alterations as needed
- Assists the Shop Manager with bookkeeping
- Other reasonable duties as assigned
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated Costume Design or Assistant experience at the educational or professional level
- Knowledge of and experience with theatrical costuming techniques
- Experience and comfortability with understanding a budget and accounting procedures
- Willingness to adhere to deadlines
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, Google Workspace suite, or similar
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
This is a seasonal, nonexempt position earning $19.00 – $21.00 per hour for 30-40 hours per week for the duration of the engagement, in addition to 401k, Medical and Vision insurance plans, and paid sick time and up to 3 floating holidays.
The Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability or any other status protected by state or local law. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Send an email with your resume and cover letter as PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.