Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA status: Exempt, full-time
PlatteForum is seeking to fill a new position to support fundraising and engagement for the organization. Founded in 2002 as a community organization to provide resources to professional artists and youth through collaboration and the creative process, PlatteForum has grown into a nationally recognized artist residency, youth development and social justice organization that is a hybrid community center, art studio, and gallery. PlatteForum expects to continue the expansion of our reach and impact, and we envision our new development director to be instrumental in this effort.
At PlatteForum, youth work side by side with resident artists to collaboratively plan, produce, and exhibit a body of work in an environment in which artistic excellence is highly valued. Youth in PlatteForum’s programs delve into a variety of art forms, confronting social justice issues and making life-changing discoveries about who they are, what they are capable of achieving, and where they belong in the world. PlatteForum’s award-winning, ArtLab high school internship is the cornerstone of our youth programming, which uses the arts to empower teens to graduate on time, prepare for post-secondary success and use their voices to create positive change in their community.
MISSION: Using the arts as a bridge, we connect youth and artists with resources to reach their full potential.
VISION: We envision a world where youth and artists have no boundaries to success.
- Creative expression – We are an inspiring and uncensored space that ignites artistic exploration and self-awareness.
- Collaboration – We push boundaries and create partnerships to amplify our impact.
- Inclusivity – We celebrate and value diverse perspectives and believe in equity for all voices.
- Community – We foster provocative conversations and action on social issues that are important to our community.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Development Director is responsible for leading and supporting PlatteForum’s mission, vision and values in partnership with the staff, community and board of directors. This will be accomplished through the following responsibilities and duties:
- Cultivate, lead, and promote the organization’s diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility practices and standards, specifically in the areas of fundraising, communications and marketing.
- Together with the board of directors and staff, develop and execute the organization’s next strategic plan.
- Lead strategy development, in partnership with the board and staff, to increase the visibility, financial resources, relevance and growth of PlatteForum.
- Serve on PlatteForum’s Fundraising/Marketing committee as a staff liaison and co-chair, providing support and information to the committee members.
- Strategize and execute a plan to cultivate and grow PlatteForum’s “family,” specifically funders, donors, sponsors, media, and event attendees.
- Together with the executive director and the Fundraising/Marketing Committee, lead the development of a robust fundraising/marketing plan that increases revenue diversity and stability and manage the execution of tactics.
- Together with the executive director, grant writer, and board of directors, lead and manage the acquisition of $500,000+ in contributed revenue and in-kind goods and services each year.
- Plan and execute compelling and impactful fundraising, communications and marketing events and campaigns.
- Oversee the design, production, and distribution of all PlatteForum collateral for all campaigns and events, managing all vendors relationships.
- Design, execute and oversee the donor acknowledgment and recognition processes, ensuring the timeliness and appropriate levels of donor and supporter stewardship and communication.
- Analyze donor and marketing trends and data, both internally and externally, and develop and execute strategy and tactics to grow PlatteForum’s family through robust fundraising, communications, and marketing campaigns.
- Work with the programming staff to provide fundraising, communications, and marketing support for our public events, such as exhibitions, lectures, workshops, community programs and fundraising events.
- Provide guidance to youth and artists in the areas of fundraising, communications and marketing when required.
- Oversee management of PlatteForum’s donor database, making certain all donor, prospect and partner information is entered correctly and kept up to date.
- Manage the organization’s membership with the SCFD shared database project and oversee the data scrub of our database up to four times per year.
- Oversee the staff submittal of all SCFD counts and manage the entry process and completion of accurate count sheets for submittal to SCFD and other funders.
- Oversee the management and reporting of accurate donor data, fundraising reports and marketing/communications analytics.
- Provide collateral and fundraising tools to staff and board of directors as needed.
- Provide necessary tools, such as grant attachments and funder agreements to the contract grant writer on a regular basis.
- Manage the workflow of assigned contractors such as printers, designers, marketing professionals, mail houses, public relations professionals.
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Preference will be given to candidates who reflect and have shared experiences with the communities PlatteForum serves.
- Proven success and experience in fundraising, donor relations, donor stewardship, communications, or a related field, preferably at organizations with annual budgets of $500,000+.
- Proven experience in major donor cultivation with corporate and/or individual donors.
- Proven experience with social media, e-news platforms, mail house procedures and other tools to promote fundraising and marketing campaigns.
- Strong understanding of local and state grant processes (this position will work with our grant writer but will not typically write grants).
- Excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, including copywriting and correspondence.
- Strong belief in art and creativity as an empowering tool for youth and artist success.
- Passion for promoting social justice and working with historically marginalized communities.
- Proven experience with public speaking engagements at intimate gatherings and large, public events.
- Basic understanding of nonprofit fund accounting and financial processes including budgets, profit and loss statements, balance sheets and 990s.
- A responsibility to servant leadership and strong diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility standards.
- Able to process information and manage responsibilities from multiple sources.
- Must be a strategic and creative thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to thrive in a team-oriented and creative environment, working with a diverse group of artists, youth, board members, donors, and community members.
- Highly organized and demonstrated success in juggling changing priorities and deadlines.
- A sense of humor is a must.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher is a plus but not required.
- Must complete a criminal and background checks/investigation and sign a confidentiality agreement prior to an offer of employment.
Salary: $43,000 – $50,000 annual salary, paid monthly and commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits: Paid health insurance (for base plan), generous vacation, sick and holiday pay
Starting date: early- to mid-April 2021
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter with the subject line “Development Director Applicant” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to Apply: Resume and cover letter must be submitted before midnight on April 2, 2021. Please do not send additional documents or materials. References will be requested as applicants progress in the process. Please no emails, phone calls or electronic messages to current staff or board members.
PlatteForum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Should an offer of employment be extended to an applicant, employment with PlatteForum is at-will and is subject to all Denver City & County, Colorado State and Federal laws.Apply Here