Director of Education
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum
Job Location: Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum, 7711 East Academy Blvd., Denver, CO 80230, Education Department
FLSA Status: Exempt Full Time
Salary: $65,000 – $75,000 DOE
Job Summary: This position exists to accomplish Wings’ educational mandate and responsibilities by creating, developing and implementing education programming that includes formal and informal K-12 opportunities, outreach, and educator professional development. This education-focused role is responsible for overall programmatic vision, day-to- coordination of Wings’ educational programs activities at two locations, and requires working closely with staff, volunteers, consultants, service providers, educators, industry, and districts around the state. The objective is to educate, inform, improve outreach, raise the profile of Wings locally and nationally, and to sustain and increase partnerships to improve museum visitor experience and numbers (both virtual and in person).
- Bachelors Degree in an education field with experience in a STEM content area
- Experience as a classroom teacher
- Experience as a charter and/or public school building leader and/or School District Central Office experience
- Masters Degree in an education field with experience in a STEM content area, particularly aviation and/or space
- Licensure as a principal or administrator
- Experience working with K-12, post-secondary, and industry
Tasks, Duties and Major Responsibilities:
- Day-to-day management of program, project and event details while working with consultants, staff, and service providers to meet all project objectives and timelines.
- Direction and implementation of the Wings Aerospace Pathways enrichment program for middle and high school students. Includes instructor oversight, some teaching, parent and student interactions, and overall program direction. Interfacing with schools, districts, and others at the CDE level is also a part of the duties.
- Expand Wings’ current STEM programming (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) to become a recognized and highly utilized resource for students seeking aerospace and STEAM content at an informal level.
- Make personal contacts and actively develop teacher relationships and promote the Museum and web resources to schools.
- Oversee the social networking and web content as they relate to education at Wings. Coordinate with the Marketing Department in this aspect.
- Play a key role in establishing learning outcomes (measurement) for Museum programming and work to ensure they are achieved.
- Serve as an aerospace/STEAM education expert, representing Wings Over the Rockies in a variety of public venues and with industry and community partners.
- Work closely with the Chief Operations Office and Chief Development Officer and other Museum staff and resources to develop grant concepts and to secure income and funding for education initiatives.
- Collaborate with other museum departments to develop and/or support public events and outreach, including but not limited to: airshow outreach, large-scale museum events, public festivals, and other events as appropriate.
- Work with the Teacher Flight Program Manager to develop and implement educator professional development opportunities, including Teacher Flight.
- Develop, manage, and adhere to department budget(s).
- Oversight of summer camp and other camps and workshops, which are managed by the Education Program Coordinator.
This job description is not all inclusive and may be added to verbally or in writing by the employee’s supervisor.
Relationships: Jobholder reports to the Chief Development Officer. Jobholder supervises the Education Program Coordinator, Teacher Flight Program Manager, instructors, education volunteers, and other personnel as defined by Wings leadership.
Job Skill Requirements:
- Self-motivated, energetic, outcome-oriented individual who demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work creatively.
- Ability to devise, research, prepare and deliver exciting and engaging learning sessions.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to deal professionally and sensitively with a diverse audience and a wide range of contacts at different levels.
- Ability to handle a number of projects and prioritize work.
- Strong computer skills and willingness to learn new programs.
- Commitment to social inclusion and making the Museum accessible to a wide-ranging audience.
- Commitment to the Mission of Wings Over The Rockies Air and Space Museum.
- Company paid Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance for the employee
- Optional participation in Flex Spending Account
- Optional participation in group retirement plan with discretionary match
- Optional participation in Short Term Disability, Accident and Critical Coverage
- Generous Vacation, Sick, and Personal leave
- Potential for annual bonus
Working Conditions: Wings is an air and space museum and operates in a 70-year-old aircraft hangar which provides the excitement and heraldry of being around aerospace. Standard work days and hours will be Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. On occasion, hours in addition to normal work hours may be requested including evenings and weekends. Out-of-town travel and weekend/holiday hours may be required.Apply Here