Director of Production
Central City Opera
Director of Production
Reports to: Artistic Director
The Director of Production is responsible for the technical/production aspects of Central City Opera’s (CCO’s) Summer Festival and off-season repertoire. Primary responsibilities include directing all production planning and operations in a safe, orderly, and efficient manner and in keeping with the overall mission of the Company. The Director will maintain high artistic standards and will initiate and engage in early, efficient, and thorough communication with design teams and department heads to ensure that all production designs are realized on time and within budget. This position has direct supervision for departments including scenery, stage operations, costumes, lighting, audio/video, wigs/make-up and designer relations in addition to shared supervision of CCO’s summer internship program. The Director of Production reports to the Artistic Director on all artistic, production, and fiscal matters. This is a management position and as such is not a part of any collective bargaining agreement.
The Director of Production will promote an inclusive, respectful, and compassionate working environment that prioritizes the Company’s values towards equity, diversity, and inclusivity. They will establish and maintain a workplace that prioritizes health and safety standards.
- Participate in pre-season planning discussions as they relate to budgeting and workability of new productions
- Assist the Artistic Director in creating the department’s budget, projections, and cash flow.
- Research and develop potential set and costume rentals and co-production opportunities, and lead the resulting negotiations and contracting.
- Schedule and attend off-season design meetings in person, by phone or video conference.
- Assist the Artistic Director and Stage Directors in the search for and engagement of designers; lead and/or assist the Artistic Director with the negotiation of designer agreements.
- Interview, hire, and manage all Production staff positions, including stage management, house management staff, Production Interns, production scheduler, assistant directors, technical director, assistant technical director, assistant lighting designers, props and assistant props master, costume department staff and wigs/makeup staff. Ensure contracts are issued and returned in a timely fashion.
- Work with the design and production staff in the execution and supervision of all off-site construction of productions within budget parameters during the pre-season. This includes communicating and working with all theatrical shops and vendors for off-site construction.
- Plan and oversee any shipping arrangements to/from Central City for scenery, costumes, and other production elements, as necessary.
- In coordination with the Artistic Director, create the detailed production/technical schedule for all Central City Opera productions.
- Determine labor needs for Productions and company events; supervise load-ins, load-outs, technical rehearsals and performances.
- Recommend capital expenditures and improvements.
- Assist the Artistic Director and other staff members with Union negotiations.
- Assist the Director of Operations/Company Manager and Marketing department to gather, edit, and proofread content, including casting, for the program book.
- Ensure effective and timely communication to all members of the company and provide regular updates to the Artistic Director.
- Create and monitor the Master Festival Production and Rehearsal calendar and approve the daily rehearsal schedule.
- Oversee the implementation and execution of all technical aspects of Central City Opera’s productions.
- Monitor department expenditures ensuring costs stay within budget; generate a weekly Festival budget report throughout the season as well as post-Festival reconciliation work.
- Oversee construction/build of new scenery, costumes, props, etc., as needed during the Festival
- Manage all mainstage theatre-related activities at the Festival.
- Work in cooperation with Company/House Manager to oversee front-of-house activities for all performances.
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships with all staff, Board, industry colleagues, and producing partners as well as relevant local and national vendors.
- Embrace the role of mentor and teacher: sharing knowledge, experiences, and best practices.
- Facilitate documentation for academic credit as needed by members of the Internship program.
- Schedule and help prepare the Stage Supervisor to lead a basic Stage Safety course for all interns.
- Conduct entrance and exit interviews with Production Interns.
Production Rental and Warehouse/Inventory
- Maintain inventory tracking of existing productions.
- Maintain and facilitate production rental information.
- Market all information to potential rental companies.
- Arrange for load-ins and load-outs, including supervision of the loading itself.
Other duties as assigned
Traits and Characteristics:
As an integral part of a welcoming and creative organization, the Director of Production will be a highly collaborative problem solver who demonstrates leadership. This individual should have a positive outlook and empathy for others, managing sensitive and confidential information with discretion and tact. The Director of Production should be comfortable handling conflict while maintaining professionalism at all times. The ideal candidate has a clean driving record and is highly organized and flexible with excellent interpersonal skills.
A goal- and results-oriented leader, the Director of Production will listen, observe, and gain an understanding of the motivations of others. An effective communicator who shows sensitivity to a diverse group of people and perspectives, this individual will be an authentic relationship builder with the ability to think both analytically and creatively.
- Previous production management or related experience in a professional opera company, performing arts organization, or relevant equivalent experience required
- Complete understanding of theater techniques and processes, including industry safety standards
- Experience with union crews and interpretation and implementation of union agreements
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with acute attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and deadline-driven tasks
- Ability to think ahead and maintain the self-driven initiative
- Experience in building and strengthening relationships
- Outstanding interpersonal written and verbal communications skills
- Attention to detail, analytical skills, and problem-solving abilities
- Professional, positive attitude with the ability to work cooperatively with a broad range of individuals, even while under pressure
- An appreciation for and fluency in opera, music, and the performing arts
Skills and Abilities:
- Substantial computer literacy with proven proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite as well as AutoCAD and/or VectorWorks
- Experience in budget creation, management and expense tracking
- Experience in logistical planning
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to function in a collaborative environment while also working independently
- Must be amenable to fluctuating work schedules
- Valid Driver’s License
- Bilingual Spanish-English speaker desired
- A comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 100% paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time-off policy for flexible personal use and holidays
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
Equal Employment Opportunity
CCO is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and equitable work environment. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values and we are currently working to expand our capacities in these areas with a company- wide understanding that this is an ongoing process that must be embedded into the fabric of the organization. We encourage candidates who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQ+, otherwise-abled, and other underrepresented identities to apply. Must be legally authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis. All applications will receive consideration for employment.
How to Apply:
Please click HERE or visit the Careers section of our website at centralcityopera.org/careers