Director of Visitor Services
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum
Job Location: Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum, 7711 East Academy Blvd., Denver CO 80230 (primary location), Wings Over the Rockies Exploration of Flight, 13005 Wings Way, Englewood CO, 80112 (secondary location)
Department: Visitor Services
FLSA Status: Exempt Full Time
Salary Range: $60,000 – $75,000 dependent on experience (DOE)
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual who can lead with enthusiasm a team of full-time staff, part-time staff and volunteers. This position oversees the day-to-day operations of the guest admissions, Welcome Center, the Museum Store, Group On-Site Sales and Tours, and various flight simulator operations. The Director of Visitor Services is responsible for customer service, traffic control, staff scheduling and employee training. This position exists to enhance the visitor experience by welcoming, informing, processing, guiding and caring for the museum’s most important assets–or visitors and volunteers. From time to time, this position will be required to work during the Museum’s special events, weekends and holidays. This position reports to the COO/CFO and must collaborate closely with the Curatorial, Membership, Marketing, Corporate Events, Facilities and Accounting Departments.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record managing and developing staff as well as providing and training for superior customer service. In additional, the individual will possess an engaging personality with excellent conflict resolution and communication skills together with strong technological skills and retail management experience.
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum is a diverse community organization dedicated to unlocking our visitors dreams of flight through exhibits, events and educational programming. Each year, we welcome roughly 160,000 visitors representing all 50 states and 34 countries around the world. Wings is Colorado’s Official Air & Space Museum and is recognized by CNN as one of the top 20 Aviation Museums in the World. Founded in 1994 and housed at the former Lowry Air Force Base in Denver, the Museum boasts more than 182,000 square feet of hanger space full of iconic aircraft, space vehicles, artifacts and much more. Visitors can also experience thrilling flight simulators, discover educational programs and participate in many exciting museum sponsored events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Routinely deliver a superior visitor experience that sets Wings apart from other entertainment & cultural options
- Understand and scrutinize all dimensions of the museum experience as it relates to Museum guests.
- Help determine strategies to move the museum forward, set goals, create action plans and evaluate results.
- Monitor procedures and use of POS and transactions. Become proficient with museum’s Altru POS system.
- Utilize, maintain, and analyze various operational reports (sales, inventory, and traffic, etc.).
- Explore new areas of potential for retail products, opportunities and growth.
- Accurately process retail sales, exchanges, returns, admissions and gift certificates in a timely fashion.
- Assist in coordinating physical inventory count in accordance with quarterly and annual audit requirements.
- Occasionally check in groups for tours and give those groups an introduction to the museum.
- Ensure all department budgets are properly prepared and adhered to throughout the fiscal year.
- Collaborate with Corporate Events to provide seamless customer service and performance for all events.
- Schedule and maintain staffing on a year-round basis to reflect seasonal variations and payroll budgets.
- Inspire, motivate, and encourage teamwork.
- Train, coach, inform, and review staff as often as necessary to assure competence and communication.
- Hire and terminate employees as needed to achieve operating goals of department and museum.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Museum Store.
- Sell memberships and train staff on procedures for selling memberships to patrons.
- Manage all group sales transactions to ensure that on site programs are successful.
- Help develop On-Site Programs and implement group tour strategies that align with museum goals and standards.
- Build and maintain all admission ticket sale programs for the museum.
- Represent the Museum to the public in a welcoming, energetic, professional, and friendly manner. This includes handling visitor complaints and issues both verbal and written in a timely and professional manner.
- Exhibit excellent floor presence by training and coaching team members on customer service standards.
- Manage the traffic flow of visitors including a large number of school groups.
- Utilize Sales/Admissions Reports to react, evaluate and project trends.
- Ensure all flight simulators are operational and properly staffed with trained associates.
- Maintain proper cash handing procedures.
Note: This is not an all-inclusive job description but a general guide to primary duties.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of four years management and customer services experience
- A minimum of three years retail experience including sales and inventory management and control
- Museum or cultural events experience a plus
- Phenomenal customer service demeanor with interpersonal, phone and CRM management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong computer and technological skills
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Altru POS system a plus
- Ability to work on multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Must be ethical and reliable with a positive and proactive outlook and demeaner
- A self-starter, with fresh and innovative ideas
- An interest and knowledge of aviation and aerospace is desirable
Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum operates in a 70 plus-year-old- aircraft hangar. Environmental conditions may vary. Work days and hours will be variable as dictated by the needs of the museum. Museum is normally open 7 days a week along with periodic evening events. Normal administrative business office hours are 8:00 – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. On occasion, this position will be required to work on weekends, holidays and evenings, as may be necessary. In addition, this position will, on occasion, be required to work at our secondary location called Wings Over the Rockies Exploration of Flight located at Centennial Airport, 15 miles south of Downtown Denver.
- Company paid Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance for the employee
- Optional participation in Flexible Spending Account
- Optional participation in group retirement plan with discretionary match
- Optional participation in Short Term Disability, Accident and Critical Coverage
- Generous Vacation, Sick, and Personal leave
- Potential for annual bonus, merit pay increases and promotional opportunities
To Apply: Please follow the link to apply for this position: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Apply/637443/Wings-Over-The-Rockies-Air-Space-Museum/Director-of-Visitor-ServicesApply Here