Ecology Data Collection Associate
Denver Botanic Gardens
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Seasonal Ecology Data Collection Associate in our Research Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
This position will assist with an urban restoration project. The seasonal will be responsible for collecting plant data on abundance, diversity, and phenology in a restoration experiment. This position will also be responsible for making pollinator observations. This position is based out of Denver, Colorado with field work in the Denver Metro area.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts fieldwork and collects data on plant diversity and abundance, monitors phenology of targeted species,
- Collects botanical voucher specimens, records site data, and documents activities.
- Collects data on pollinator activity.
- Manages data and ensures quality control.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at Denver Botanic Gardens, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have positive attitude with an interest in ecology and botany.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working on a team.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to conduct frequent bending, kneeling, and standing.
- Ability to work in a variety of adverse weather conditions, such as strong winds, extreme heat and sun exposure, monsoonal rains, flash flooding, lightning, and hazardous wildlife (i.e. rattlesnakes, scorpions, bears).
- Ability to hike up to six miles per day.
- Must have proven excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills in dealing with the public.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans, when necessary, throughout the day.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of the Gardens both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- Coursework/trainings in botany and/or degree in botany or related field.
- Plant identification skills and experience using technical keys and collecting plant vouchers.
- One or more seasons of field work experience.
- One field season performing plant identification and vegetation sampling.
- Data management experience.
- Experience using ArcGIS software and ESRI applications such as ArcOnline and Survey123.
- Able to conduct creative problem solving independently.
- Must have a valid driver’s license (in good standing).
Up to 50% of travel is required within the Denver Metro area.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!
Compensation: $21.00 - Per Hour