Title: Educator and Exhibit Interpreter
Department: Programs and Interpretation
Direct Reports to: Education Coordinator
FLSA Status: Part-time
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Position Summary: The Butterfly Pavilion seeks a creative, energetic, tech savvy, culturally competent individual with a passion for learning about and developing curriculum and programs for visitors – school and youth groups, families, adults – on science, nature, and invertebrates to join our Programs & Interpretation team as a part-time Educator. Butterfly Pavilion strives to provide programs that promote appreciation, understanding, and conservation of invertebrates and habitats worldwide to a diverse community, and bilingual individuals fluent in English and Spanish and/or those who have worked with children with special needs or disabilities is a plus. This position is also required to work a minimum of one educational program or afterhours private or public event per quarter, and as scheduled by the Coordinator. This position will also be required to work one exhibits day shift per week.
- Teaching engaging, interactive science education programs at the Butterfly Pavilion, in local schools, youth organizations, senior centers, libraries, other community locations, and via real-time interactive video conference (distance learning) for diverse audiences
- Using live animals to demonstrate science concepts
- Increasing the reach of the Butterfly Pavilion in the community
- Facilitating public programming and exhibit interpretation for visitors to Butterfly Pavilion
- Working alongside interpreters, interns and volunteers to provide high quality interpretation
- Training and assisting in exhibit interpretation as schedule demands
- Orienting school groups as the reception/logistics support to ensure successful field trip experiences, as scheduled
- Attending required branch and facility meetings
- Collaborating with Programs & Interpretation department to design, develop and implement new curricula or programs or redesign existing curricula to meet needs of diverse audiences
- Provide administrative support to Programs & Interpretation Department
- Pursuing or holding a degree in education, environmental sciences, biology or related field
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, comfortable interacting with guests of all ages and backgrounds
- Computer/technology proficiency—word processing, presentation software, video conferencing, projectors, interactive white boards, spreadsheets, databases
- Enthusiastic, creative, sense of fun, patient
- Organized and flexible
- Fluency in Spanish and English preferred
- 1-2 years’ experience working in non-formal education setting -e.g. museum, zoo, aquarium, nature center
- Prior experience developing curriculum-aligned classroom or informal education programs
- Prior experience in a customer service based role
- Prior experience working with individuals of different ages, abilities, and backgrounds
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability and means of transportation to off-site destinations for program delivery
- Subject to yearly background check of driving record
- Proof of current automobile insurance with the following coverage: $100,000 bodily injury for each person, $300,000 for each accident, and $50,000 property damage liability.
- CPR and First Aid certified within a year of hire
- While performing the responsibilities of the Educator, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the Educator will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the Educator.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
- These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions within this position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities.
- While performing the responsibilities of the Educator, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to lift, carry and load education materials into vehicle, not to exceed 50 lbs.
- 3-4 days a week, 24-28 hours per week on average. Seasonally, scheduled hours vary from 10-40 hours/week.
- Must be available to be scheduled Monday through Friday with occasional weekend and evening hours required for education.
- This position will be required to work Tuesdays and Fridays from 8:45-1:15 in the zoo’s exhibits.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter. Please apply via link: https://butterflies.applicantpro.com/jobs/1327053-20970.html
Position is open until filled. No phone calls or drop in’s please.Apply Here