Environmental and Ecological Services Director of Business Development
Title: Environmental and Ecological Services (EES) Director of Business Development
Position Reports To: President/CEO and COO
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. Established in 1995, Butterfly Pavilion is a leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration, and connection, working to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. In 2014 Butterfly Pavilion became the first and only stand-alone invertebrate zoo to be accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Butterfly Pavilion now leads over 238 AZA-accredited zoos in invertebrate education, conservation, and welfare. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future. Additionally, Butterfly Pavilion is certified as a Service Enterprise, an organization that fundamentally leverages volunteers and their skills to successfully deliver on its social mission. As a certified Service Enterprise, we have fully integrated our volunteers into our team, becoming more adaptable, sustainable, and impactful.
We are committed to providing the most enriching, world-class experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being the leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has launched Emerge, a $55 million capital campaign, to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the center for invertebrate research and conservation in a brand new, 81,000-square-foot state-of-the-art facility in 2027.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors, and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can’t make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren’t just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt 40+ hours per week
Salary/Hourly Rate: $85,000-90,000 with Commission + Full Benefits
About our EES Director of Sales and Business Development: The ideal candidate for Butterfly Pavilion’s EES Director of Business Development position is an established business leader who has an entrepreneurial spirit and can support the CEO’s vision in evolving Butterfly Pavilion’s Environmental and Ecological Services into a world-class product for clients in need of such support. This person is a strategic and analytical thinker with keen negotiation skills and a commitment to the long-term financial sustainability of the organization through our services. They are a dynamic, enthusiastic and ambitious, demonstrate superior communication skills, and are able to convey product information to various stakeholders with differing levels of industry knowledge.
Position Summary: The EES Director of Business Development is responsible for all aspects of business development, sales, and more, as well as budget oversight and the development and execution of yearly sales and marketing goals. They lead the sales team by developing and implementing sales and business plans to increase profit and motivate the team to hit these goals. This position conducts research on competition to determine how much our products are worth to develop reasonable product pricing that fits within the customer’s budget and brings in a great profit. The EES Director of Business Development drafts reports and presents on EES sales to the executive team. They’ll use the leadership team’s feedback to add adjustments and improvements to their current sales target strategies.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Lead and grow sustainable environmental business ventures – fee for service programs (Environmental and Ecological Services)
- Management of the sales process
- Hiring, training and coaching of the EES team
- Maintain accurate and timely reporting of EES program and results for both external and internal use
- Build solid and productive relationships with customers, vendors and distributors, as well as sales and marketing teams.
- Proactively communicating with customers and conducting follow-up questions
- Develop in-depth knowledge of EES offerings to identify profitable business opportunities.
- Direct marketing efforts by presenting market research to Marketing department and suggesting strategies to expand market share.
- Prepare all documentation required for business proposals
- Research emerging trends and recommending new company offerings to satisfy customers’ needs.
- Develop and managing strategic partnerships to grow business.
- Present business or marketing opportunities to company executives and management.
- Identify automation software and software platforms that best meet company needs in order to effectively track and report sales activity
- Coordinate within the organization to identify best CRM
- Updating and maintaining sales materials and computer systems
- Managing sales pipeline to ensure timely and accurate forecasting
- Maintaining accurate records of all sales activities
- Strategic thinking
- Financial/fiscal management
- Builds relationships
- Communication Skills
- Negotiation Skills
- Project/Time Management
- Results and Goal Oriented
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field required, MBA preferred
- 5-7 years of director level position such as Business Director or similar role
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of scaling business operations and advancing new business ventures
- Proven ability to drive the sales process from start to finish
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Proven ability to articulate the distinct aspects of services and products
- Knowledge of how to develop client-focused, differentiated and achievable solutions
- Understands how to position products against competitors
- Understands and effectively applies the concepts of differentiation and adding value.
- Customer service focused with a client first approach to business
- Knows customer markets and the issues and challenges they face and can translate that information into useful selling strategies.
- Builds long term relationships that drive increased revenue and demand for services
- Strong computer competency
- Advanced level understanding of marketing
Work Environment / Physical Requirements: While performing the responsibilities of this position, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the position will encounter. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform this position’s essential functions.
At Butterfly Pavilion, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to see, talk, and hear. The employee is often required to sit and stand, use their hands and fingers, to handle/feel/grasp. The employee is occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employees should be able to lift, carry and items up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply: Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
Compensation: Salary/Hourly Rate: $85,000-90,000 with Commission + Full Benefits