Title: Executive Assistant
Position Reports To: President and Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: N/A
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the early stages of launching a $40 million Capital Campaign to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the Center for Invertebrate Research and Conservation (CIRC) in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in 2025.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can’t make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren’t just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
Make Science Cool: Science has the power to change the world and education is where it starts. We immerse our guests in the world of invertebrates, creating a safe, comfortable atmosphere to make connections to nature, filling guests with wonder and inspiring them to embrace their role as stewards of our environment.
Go Above and Beyond: It is “our job” to find a solution, even if we did not create the problem. We never stop with okay, instead striving for world class in all we do.
Love What You Do: As a conservation organization, we are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do the work we do each day. Independ of role, project or task, we stand behind that work with an unwavering belief in the significance of our efforts to support our mission, knowing our passion will inspire others to join our efforts.
Be Positive: We approach challenges with vibrant optimism. Always assuming positive intent, we embrace a productive problem-solving attitude and a supportive team-oriented atmosphere.
Know Your Stuff: We are the experts on invertebrates and their conservation. We are well-informed and present knowledge in a way that is accessible to the public and allows us to embrace our role as a community leader locally and globally.
Lead Change: We approach our work with a sense of exploration and adventure, pioneering new ways to view the world in which we live. As problem solvers, we seek new ways of tackling challenges and approaching opportunities.
Welcome All: We pride ourselves in embracing diversity of thoughts, beliefs, and lifestyles. We embrace a kind, compassionate, and engaging approach, welcoming all people in the work we do. We seek a competency of cultural understanding and social responsibility to make it as easy as possible for others to join us in conserving our natural world.
Salary/Hourly Rate: $56,000-60,000+ Full Benefits
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt Minimum 45-50 hours per week. Occasional weekends and evenings required.
Position Summary: Acts in direct concert with the President/CEO in advancing all strategic efforts including planning, scheduling, and meeting preparations. Serves as a point of contact and provides a communication bridge between the President/CEO, Executive Team, Board of Directors, staff members, and other key stakeholders as needed. Responsible for maintaining accurate records and serving as the Secretary to the Board of Directors. Help align budget with the organizational priorities and support these priorities through partnerships and relationship development. Must have the capacity to anticipate needs and challenges, exercise good judgment, demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, and balance multiple priorities while meeting target deadlines and objectives effortlessly. Works independently on projects and seeks out assistance when challenges or obstacles are known.
As a “Director” level position in the organization, the Executive Assistant helps to determine where the organization is going by working with executives and directors to set organizational strategy and ensure strategic objectives are met. The Executive Assistant must be able handle a wide variety of items and confidential matters with discretion and maintain creditability, trust, and support with team members.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and support the administrative functions of the President/CEO, including managing the daily calendar, scheduling internal and external appointments and meeting arrangements.
- Works closely and effectively with the President/CEO to keep the President/CEO well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities and following up appropriately.
- Provides leadership to build relationships key to the success of the organization and manages a variety of special projects for the CEO, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully complete critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting letters, correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the President/CEO’s ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through of projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Facilitate, write, and edit internal and external communications, materials and presentations of the President/CEO and Board of Directors.
- Serve as Secretary to the Board and provide administrative Board support, manage calendars, prepare agendas, take minutes, distribute meeting materials, coordinate, schedule and attend Board meetings and retreats.
- Provide administrative Executive Team support, schedule, and attend meetings, notetaking.
- Assist Finance Team with budget and budget revision planning, check processing, reconciliations, and annual audit.
- Assist with Executive Team and Board of Directors onboarding
- Assist with annual SCFD Tier II grant application and coordinating submission.
- Assist with tracking and documentation of the strategic plan and master plan.
- Develop and maintain internal filing systems, both electronic and paper.
- Sorting and distributing mail and incoming deliveries.
- Maximizes office productivity through proficient use and implementation of procedures.
- Representing Butterfly Pavilion in the community.
- Performing other related duties as required and assigned.
- Project/Time management
- Results and goal oriented
- Resource management
- Strategic thinking
- Coaching and developing
- Fund development
- Detail oriented
- Prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Able to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, volunteers, external partners, and donors.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Emotional maturity: Must have the ability to multi-task and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Present a positive attitude or even keel manner, even in difficult situations.
- Must be self-motivated and goal oriented.
- Maintain discretion with confidential information.
- Comfortable with self-directing.
- Strong task management and execution skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships across the organization.
- Ability to communicate ideas and contribute effectively to the department.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or similar.
- Must have at least five years of administrative and relationship building experience.
- Ability to work independently and to manage multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Skilled in using of a variety of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, and database management.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of this position, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the position will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
At Butterfly Pavilion, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to see, talk, and hear. The employee is often required to sit and stand, use their hands and fingers, to handle/feel/grasp. The employee is occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift, carry and items up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/butterflies/jobs/2174218-20970
Position is open until filled.
No phone calls or drop ins please.
Compensation: $56,000 to $60,000 per year