Farm Assistant – Food Project Farm
Growing Gardens of Boulder County
This is a grower/farmer position supporting operations (production and educational programming) at our 2 Food Project Farms, located in Longmont, CO. We practice low-till, organic, and garden scale methods for intensive production of vegetables. A majority of the produce from the farm is donated through the OUR center and other local community partners. The farm supports a reduced-priced Farm Stand on Thursdays from July-Sept. The Food Project Farm also provides farm-based educational programming to local teens during a summer program and hundreds of preK- elementary aged children through farm field trips in the spring and fall.
Growing Responsibilities 80- 90%:
- Greenhouse production for spring sales, donation program and partner organizations, and for our own farm production.
- Focus: Seeding, transplanting, pest and disease management, other greenhouse needs, and seedling distribution
- March – October:
- Outdoor, active soil and plant care, on our 2 Food Project farms , where we grow diversified vegetables for local distribution in the city of Longmont. This position also supports our 2-acre farm in Boulder in a similar capacity about one day a week
- Focus: Seeding, transplanting, weeding, pest and disease management, cover cropping, irrigation installation and repairs, mowing, and harvesting, washing and packaging produce
- Working hands-on with volunteer and community groups
- July-October: Assisting with Farm Stand
Programming Support- 5-10%
- Work regularly with and lead volunteer groups and the public on the farm
- Serve as a mentor for 10 teens in our Cultiva Youth Program at the Food Project Farm site (9 weeks in June-Aug)
- Assist with educational and community programming at the Food Project Farm, specifically bilingual programming
Admin and Event Support – 5-10% of Time
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Assist with record keeping
- Support farm events or other programming as needed. This may include set-up, break-down, and staffing of events.
- Must have at least 1 season experience working on a production farm
- Strong communication and conflict resolutions skills
- Up to 2 weekend days per month (usually Saturday) seasonally and Thursday evening Farm Stand work 2-3 times a month (mid July – mid Oct) is required. Additional evening or weekend work for events.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, year-round
- Ability to engage in physically active work every day on uneven terrain
- Ability to interact with volunteers, interns, youth, people with differing abilities and the general public on a daily basis
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a team
- Ability to pass a background check because our programs work with children and teens
Highly Preferred Qualifications
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Experience working with diverse, bilingual populations in Boulder, Weld, and/or Broomfield counties
Compensation: Pay: $20.60-$22.50 /hour with English language fluency Pay: $21.60-$23.50 /hour with English and Spanish language fluency