Denver Botanic Gardens
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Seasonal Gardener in our Horticulture Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
Under direct supervision this position provides support to the Horticulture department through applying appropriate horticultural techniques to a wide variety of plant materials to ensure gardens are of the highest horticulture standards. This role will address issues/problems by applying prescribed rules, policies or procedures.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Uses appropriate horticultural techniques and has an understanding of plant cultural requirements.
- Completes assigned daily/weekly/monthly tasks including weeding, mulching, watering, planting, pruning, dead heading and seed collection on a regular basis including weekends as scheduled or required.
- Practices integrated pest management when dealing with plant disease, nutrition, and insect problems.
- Maintains paths, beds, and common areas free of weeds, debris, and litter.
- Provides courteous, accurate responses to all inquiries.
- Participates in special events as needed including but not limited to Plant Sale, Fete, Concerts Series, and Blossoms of Light. Duties may include assisting in set-up, teardown, and cleanup.
- Maintains satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers, volunteers, and others.
- Maintains a positive, helpful, and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Uses appropriate safety procedures.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at Denver Botanic Gardens, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of correct horticultural practices and experience in all aspects of routine garden maintenance.
- Knowledge of planting, weed identification and control, cultural requirements of herbaceous and woody plants and plant identification.
- Knowledge with most horticultural tools and machinery is essential.
- Must have proven excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills in dealing with the public.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans, when necessary, throughout the day.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of the Gardens both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!
Compensation: $17.85 Per Hour