Denver Botanic Gardens
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Full Time Gardens Custodial Specialist in our Operations Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
This position acts as customer-oriented liaison between Denver Botanic Gardens and the public. It is a sometimes physically demanding position in a lovely environment that is responsible to clean, maintain and set up public/service areas and equipment for visitors, employees and volunteers and ensures a positive appearance of the Gardens facilities for visitors and staff. Under general supervision, it performs and maintains the internal and external appearance of the Gardens.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures overall positive presentation and experience of all physical facilities for visitors and staff.
- Assures all event space is properly setup and clean. After the event is over, space must be cleaned and returned for public use.
- Monitors events and traffic flow of visitors throughout gardens and buildings, performing timely clean-up including emptying trash cans, cleaning restroom facilities, picking up trash, cleaning spills etc.
- Maintains cleanliness of exterior hardscapes, including sweeping of sidewalks and trash pick-up if necessary.
- Collects recycled materials, and ensures wastes is placed in the proper dumpster.
- Cleans public and office areas, including emptying trash, dusting, vacuuming, windows, etc. to ensure consistently clean and safe presentations.
- Empties interior and exterior trash cans within gardens and public areas.
- Operates pressure washer to ensure all exterior hardscape is clean and free of debris, including mechanical power blower.
- Operates powered carts, floor cleaner and other light mechanical cleaning equipment.
- Responsible for Snow Removal.
- Works closely with Events staff for public and private events. Move and set up furniture, stanchions and other items requested.
- Ensures tripping or other safety hazards are immediately reported to supervisor.
- Maintains a positive and professional working relationship with managers, co-workers, members, visitors or others.
- Attends all meetings as required.
- Performs light maintenance of custodial equipment, other duties or special projects as requested by management.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at DBG, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to ever
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have proven excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills in dealing with the public.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans when necessary, throughout the day.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of DBG both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- High school diploma / GED and/or combination of education and equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum of 6 months of janitorial or light maintenance experience is required.
- Proven experience working as part of a team is required.
This job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide the incumbent with a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
Denver Botanic Gardens has an incredible benefits package for eligible employees!
Our major benefits include a choice of Medical Plans, a Dental and Vision Plan and Life Insurance Plan. We have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a Healthcare Spending Account (HSA).
The Gardens offers a generous Retirement Savings Plan with Company contribution of 6% after one year of service for eligible participants.
The Gardens also offers paid holidays, vacation, sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and an RTD ECO pass.
For eligible employees, The Gardens employment also includes a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens Membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!
Compensation: $21.20 Per Hour