Gift Shop and Office Manager
Friends of Dinosaur Ridge
Who We Are:
Located in Jefferson County Open Space, Dinosaur Ridge is one of the most important paleontology sites on Earth. Our globally iconic site has been ranked by paleontologists as the #1 dinosaur track site in the nation, and one of the most important in the world. Dinosaur Ridge typically draws almost 250,000 annual visitors to our outdoor museum to view approximately 300 dinosaur tracks still preserved on the sandstone slope. Dinosaur Ridge was also the site of the first Stegosaurus discovery on earth and was designated National Natural Landmark (a subunit of the National Park Service) in 1973. The Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1989 with the purpose of preserving the fossils on Dinosaur Ridge and educating the public about the natural history of the area. Our mission was later expanded to include the fossil sites at Triceratops Trail in Golden, Colorado.
We are open from 9:00am – 5:00pm during our summer season (May-October), then 9:00am -4:00pm during our winter season (November-April)
Who You Are:
In the role of Gift Shop and Office Manager, you will oversee both our gift shops, ensuring each are well-stocked and supplied. With thoughtful analysis of sales trends, you will oversee the
ordering, receiving, and general management of inventory, adjusting merchandising, advertising, and pricing to maximize profitability. Committed to the organization, you will meet financial objectives by estimating requirements, scheduling expenditures, forecasting sales, analyzing variances, initiating corrective actions, and assisting in audit completion to ensure
quality standards. The Gift Shop and Office Manager is also responsible for managing the office supplies of the organization.
Additional areas of partial responsibility also pertain to the recruitment, training, and evaluation of the guest services team; enforcing policies /procedures and planning professional growth paths.
We anticipate this position to be full-time, working 4-5 days per week. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
• Keeps merchandise available by analyzing sales trends; building and maintaining relationships with vendors; approving purchase orders; maintaining inventory and office supplies — 45%
• Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising; studying trends; authorizing promotions and clearance sales; analyzing profit ratios — 25%
• Meets financial objectives by estimating requirements; scheduling expenditures; forecasting sales; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions; completing audits; enacting quality standards — 10%
• Contributes to the success of the organization by welcoming and analyzing new, related, and different requests; coordinating with the Manager of Guest Services regarding staffing and other logistical issues when necessary; helping others accomplish job results; ensuring policies and procedures are being followed — 10%
• Protects company assets from internal and external loss by implementing security measures; identifying potential breaches; maintains safe work environment — 5%
• Other duties as assigned — 5%
A comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for those at full-time hours. Paid time-off for sick days in accordance with CO law. 403(b), and a Retirement Plan with eligibility to contribute is also available. After accumulating 1,000 worked hours, Paid Time Off also becomes available.
• Able to pass a background check
• Two years of retail experience
• Two-years of experience in a supervisory role
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Able to sit or stand for extended periods of time; walk around indoor and outdoor spaces
• Able to carry and lift to 50 lbs.
• Available to work 4-5 consistent days per week, including weekends and holidays
• Advanced proficiency with Point-of-Sale Systems, or related experience
• Intermediate or advanced proficiency in MS365 and Google Suites
• A keen understanding of inventory data management
Admired, but not required Qualities:
• High school diploma or equivalent. Courses in business administration and merchandising; experience in supervisory work and in sales and buying for retail; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Passion for the mission of Dinosaur Ridge, with an interest in paleontology, geology, and/or science.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume, along with 3 references.
Start Day: November 2023
Compensation: $21 - $24.50