Gift Shop & Guest Services Supervisor
The Hudson Gardens & Event Center
POSITION TITLE: Gift Shop & Guest Services Supervisor
DEPARTMENT: Guest Services
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Business Manager
HIRING RANGE: $40,000 – $45,000
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b), Vacation and Sick Leave
The Hudson Gardens & Events Center finds its roots in the five acres of land purchased by King and Evelyn Hudson in 1941 for their home and farm-to-table restaurant. Evelyn established the King C. Hudson and Evelyn Leigh Hudson Foundation to continue their legacy for generations to come. The Hudson Gardens officially opened in 1996 and was later renamed The Hudson Gardens & Event Center to reflect the growing popularity of community programs and other opportunities for recreation and entertainment. Today the gardens encompass thirty acres of garden exhibits, trails, natural terrain, and event venues. These spaces become scenic backdrops for special events, private occasions, and community programs that encourage people to bond over nature, artistry, health and wellness.
The Gift Shop & Guest Services Supervisor oversees the day-to-day operations of Hudson Gardens’ Gift Shop and Guest Services Department. The incumbent is responsible for the selection, purchase and merchandising of all Gift Shop inventory, keeping current with Hudson Gardens programs and exhibits, in addition to monitoring retail trends and customer buying habits. He or she ensures giftware product displays are designed effectively to maximize sales and profitability. Day-to-day operational duties include cashiering, stocking merchandise, answering and directing phone calls, greeting garden guests, supervising personnel, and other duties as assigned, all with strong customer service orientation. The right candidate will have a background in gift shop retail including buying giftware, inventory management, evaluating trends, visual merchandising, etc. Evening, weekend, and holiday hours are required. This position supervises frontline personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversees the daily retail and guest services operations. Ensures the department is adequately staffed, stocked and open for business during posted business hours.
• Responsible for inventory operations of the Gift Shop including ordering merchandise, maintaining proper inventory, running inventory counts, and ensuring merchandise is returned to suppliers in a timely manner.
• Coordinates shipments of merchandise; checks that all shipments are properly received, marked, and put on the floor for sale.
• Determines proper merchandise pricing to ensure profit.
• Attends trade shows (when it is safe again to do so). Meets with sales representatives in-person or via video conferencing.
• Plans, implements, and maintains merchandise displays in accordance with the buying audience.
• Ensures Guest Service staff/volunteers perform duties properly, cash register sales are accurately recorded, and required accounting procedures are followed. Assists staff with discounts, returns, and other transaction issues.
• Ensures that proper opening, closing, and safety procedures are followed. This includes ensuring Hudson Gardens’ COVID-19 5-Star State Certification procedures are followed for the Welcome Center.
• Ensures that the Gift Shop and related facilities remain clean, organized, and stocked.
• Assists in recruitment of Guest Services Representatives. Responsible for supervising department staff and volunteers, creating work schedules, and training department staff and volunteers. Covers “floor” shifts and fills in for staff during absences.
• Coordinates the commercial photographer programs and permit fulfillment.
• Coordinates the box office and will call for special events; Maintains inventory of box office supplies in anticipation of scheduled events and anticipated crowds.
• Performs other duties as assigned. May be asked to assist in other positions and departments as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
• 2+ years of merchandise buying required.
• 3+ years of supervising experience required.
• 3+ years of customer service experience required.
• 2+ years of experience using point-of-sales systems required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of cash management principles and procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of retail operations.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and active listening skills.
• Strong supervisory skills.
• Basic math skills including adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying, and calculating percentages.
• Organizational and time management skills.
• Skill with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
• Skill using point-of-sale systems.
• Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with frequent change or unexpected events.
• Ability to interact respectfully and sensitively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Creativity and imagination.
• Work is accomplished with limited direction. The incumbent determines and develops approaches to solutions. Work is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives have been met.
• This position supervises frontline part-time personnel (0-4 PTE) and volunteers (0-5).
• This position has frequent contact with others within the organization, outside vendors, visitors, and clients.
• Assists in meeting annual Gift Shop sales goals of less than $100 thousand.
• Responsible for controllable annual budgeted expense items of less than $100 thousand.
• Assist in the budget process by compiling data for management.
• Must be able to understand normal conversation and accurately communicate information.
• Ability to use a telephone and computer.
• Lifting and moving objects weighing up to 15 pounds is common. May lift and/or move up to 50 pounds occasionally.
• Ability to reach up high to place merchandise on shelves. May need to use a stepladder on occasion.
• Must be able to use a vacuum and general cleaning supplies/chemicals.
• Manual dexterity needed to handle cash, coins, etc.
• COVID-19 considerations: face mask must be worn.
• The Hudson Gardens & Event Center is adhering to CDC, State and local orders and guidelines with regard to COVID-19.
• Duties occur in a professional office/retail setting with moderate noise levels.
• Varied work schedule with evening, weekend, and holiday work regularly required. Overtime may be required.
• Occasional travel required.
• Remote work: No. During COVID-19 lockdown, may transition to remote.
The King C. Hudson & Evelyn Leigh Hudson Foundation, d.b.a. The Hudson Gardens & Event Center, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Visit our website to apply: https://hudsongardens.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=11&source=aWQ9OA%3D%3D