Horticulturist (Greenhouse Production – Chatfield)
Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: Under direct supervision, provides support to Horticulture department through applying appropriate horticultural techniques to a wide variety of plant materials throughout the gardens to ensure gardens are of the highest horticulture standards. Addresses issues/problems by applying prescribed rules, policies, or procedures. Provides an enriching experience to garden visitors by disseminating information. Specifically, assists Greenhouse Production Manager with day to day maintenance of plant collections and greenhouses and nursery.
Career Type: Full-Time
Compensation: $19.23 per hour
Qualifications/Experience: Bachelors degree in horticulture, botany, or related field from a four-year college or university with 2 to 3 years experience; or 4 to 6 years of horticulture experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced understanding of correct horticultural practices and experience in all aspects of routine garden maintenance, including but not limited to: planting, weed identification, and control, cultural requirements of herbaceous and woody plants as well as solid plant identification knowledge. Valid Colorado Drivers License required and ability to obtain Colorado Pesticide Applicators License. Experience with hardscape features desired. Working knowledge of irrigation systems as well as horticultural equipment, tools, and machinery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Uses appropriate horticultural techniques of the highest standard to install and maintain diverse garden areas as prescribed in established organization guidelines, including routine and special projects as requested.
- Assists with the Garden Grown program, keeping track of inventories and signage database, printing labels, and coordinating volunteers.
- Participates in seed collection, cleaning, organizing, databasing, distribution to Plant Select® and Index Seminum.
- Assists with all aspects of greenhouse production, including ordering and accessioning.
- Maintains greenhouses and common areas free of weeds, debris, and litter.
- Practices integrated pest management when dealing with plant disease and insect problems.
- Participates in education programs and conducts tours when required including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
- Contributes articles to internal and external publications.
- Serves as a horticultural resource to management, co-workers, volunteers, members, and visitors.
- Maintains labels and records and ensures inventories are correct.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and defines tasks and processes for volunteers, interns, and seasonal gardeners.
- Coordinates garden expenditure and purchasing with a supervisor.
- Participates in special events as needed including but not limited to Plant Sale, Fete, Concert Series, and Blossoms of Light. Duties may include assisting in set-up, teardown, planning, cleanup, etc.
- Actively participates in professional societies and other organizations to disseminate and share ideas and keep current on horticultural happenings.
- Works with all departments to assure the highest quality experience for all DBG visitors.
- Maintains satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers, and others.
- Maintains a positive, helpful, and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Uses appropriate safety procedures.
- Performs other duties as requested by management, including snow removal in the winter.
Major benefits include the choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA); a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes, and summer concert tickets.
Denver Botanic Gardens employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Compensation: $19.23 per hour