Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: Under general supervision performs skilled work at the journeyman level in the inspection, installation, maintenance, adjustment, and replacement of Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems according to manufacturer’s recommendations, department standards and applicable State and Federal code and regulations. Requires knowledge of both preventive and applied maintenance techniques in order to efficiently diagnose and resolve difficult heating and cooling problems, complete work order requests, and inspect HVAC equipment and/or projects. Further, performs other general maintenance functions such as; light electrical work, minor plumbing applications, and some carpentry work.
Career Type: Full-time
Compensation: $26.50 per hour
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Plus a minimum five years’ experience in HVAC field with related experience with low pressure steam systems and minimum two years as a journeyman technician. Must be flexible and able to handle multiple and changing priorities, maintain confidentiality, and have experience working in a team environment.
Essential Job Duties:
- Inspects and maintains equipment according to manufacturer’s recommendation and generally accepted department standards for all HVAC and Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) systems.
- Performs seasonal overhauls and trouble shoots transition of systems from heating to cooling and vice versa.
- Repairs and maintains all HVAC controls, including air compressors and air dryers, on all HVAC equipment; whether pneumatic, electrical, or electronic.
- Maintains Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized (RO/DI) systems and components including distillers.
- Performs housekeeping duties on all HVAC systems and in all mechanical rooms to maintain a clean, uncluttered and safe work environment.
- Carries out other limited trade tasks including, but not limited to electrical repair and minor sheet metal duct work as required.
- Maintains air distribution systems.
- Ensures shop equipment is in proper working condition.
- Instruct assigned personnel on the proper and safe use of equipment.
- Operate tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Ensure the equipment is in safe operating condition.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting and climbing, etc.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to management immediately.
Other Job Duties:
- Reads, interprets, and works from sketches, blueprints and schematics that relate to HVAC systems.
- Operates and maintains the Energy Management System as required; inspects rooms and/or buildings to ensure adequate environmental comfort.
- Maintains and repairs all components for both the water and low-pressure steam distribution systems.
- Completes permits such as hot work, confined spaces, etc., as required; follows applicable permit protocol.
- Use computer to access email, receive work instructions and other administrative information to include electronic payroll forms.
- Communicates daily using a two-way radio, and/or pager system in order to respond to work-related routine and emergency information.
- Test and recommend HVAC supplies and equipment to be used.
- Prepare, implement, and maintain preventive maintenance schedules for HVAC equipment.
- Order equipment and supplies and maintain accurate records.
- Recommend replacement of existing equipment.
- Conduct inventory of physical existing equipment.
- Participates with snow removal duties.
- Maintains a positive and professional working relationship with managers, co-workers, and others.
Other Job Duties (continued)
- Maintains a positive, helpful, and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members, visitors or others.
- Work irregular hours and respond to after hour’s emergency calls as needed.
- Attends all meetings “on site” as required.
- Changes out burned out ballasts, replaces lighting bulbs as needed, etc.
- Performs light plumbing duties such as unplugging stopped drains, replacing batteries in smart plumbing features, etc.
- Assists with carpentry duties as needed with other team members.
- Performs other duties or special projects as requested by management.
Benefits: Major benefits include choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA) ; a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.Apply Here