Membership & Guest Services Manager
Title: Membership & Guest Services Manager
Position Reports To: Director of Guest Services and Membership
Direct Reports: Guest Services Coordinator, Lead Guest Services Associate, Guest Service Associates, Volunteers, and Interns
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the initial stages of launching a $33 million Capital Campaign to build the new Butterfly Pavilion at the Baseline Development in Broomfield, CO, which is scheduled to open in 2025.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors, and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we cannot make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These are not just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
Make Science Cool: Science has the power to change the world and education is where it starts. We immerse our guests in the world of invertebrates, creating a safe, comfortable atmosphere to make connections to nature, filling guests with wonder and inspiring them to embrace their role as stewards of our environment.
Go Above and Beyond: It is “our job” to find a solution, even if we did not create the problem. We never stop with okay, instead striving for world class in all we do.
Love What You Do: As a conservation organization, we are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do the work we do each day. Independ of role, project, or task, we stand behind that work with an unwavering belief in the significance of our efforts to support our mission, knowing our passion will inspire others to join our efforts.
Be Positive: We approach challenges with vibrant optimism. Always assuming positive intent, we embrace a productive problem-solving attitude and a supportive team-oriented atmosphere.
Know Your Stuff: We are the experts on invertebrates and their conservation. We are well-informed and present knowledge in a way that is accessible to the public and allows us to embrace our role as a community leader locally and globally.
Lead Change: We approach our work with a sense of exploration and adventure, pioneering new ways to view the world in which we live. As problem solvers, we seek new ways of tackling challenges and approaching opportunities.
Welcome All: We pride ourselves in embracing diversity of thoughts, beliefs, and lifestyles. We embrace a kind, compassionate, and engaging approach, welcoming all people in the work we do. We seek a competency of cultural understanding and social responsibility to make it as easy as possible for others to join us in conserving our natural world.
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt
Salary/Hourly Rate: $50,000 – $55,000
Position Mission: Ensuring a world-class guest experience and growing Butterfly Pavilion’s network of supporters through visitation and membership.
Position Summary: The Membership & Guest Services Manager cultivates and grows Butterfly Pavilion’s membership by providing a world-class guest experience, using data insights to build a stronger, customized relationship with each member, and developing a membership brand that puts the member at the forefront of our guest hierarchy.
- 2500 memberships to be renewed or sold for 2023
- Aggressively market to existing members to increase renewals, maintain a 40% retention rate and 2500 acquisitions through new or lapsed members.
- Build value for membership by executing 4 member events, 1-2 concerts and several classes and programs targeted at members
- Work with Membership consultants for new acquisition campaign and lapsed member recovery.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Manages the Guest Services team, overseeing a smooth, easy and enjoyable guest experience at all touch points throughout the building
- Ensures that the department processes and practices support effective and efficient operations
- Achieve specific revenue goals from membership sales
- Ensure an excellent member experience – and high retention rates – through the creation and implementation of a successful membership events, communications, and services program
- Manages product development for general admission and membership.
- Maintain accurate and current member databases, and ensure high quality records management
- Develop and implement techniques to acquire new members
- Create and guide content of membership marketing material – including e-mail, e-news, newsletters, brochures and other publications and mailings
- Assist in the preparation and management of departmental budget
- Manage data entry and reporting to ensure accurate and timely tracking of revenue and other reports
- Oversees the creation and distribution of regular attendance reports and trends, tracking advance sales, final sales, sales by visitor type, and revenue for senior leadership.
- Oversees delivery of all accurate deposits, cash, records and financial materials for processing of deposits, securing of funds and delivery of financials to the finance department.
- Train team members throughout the facility on membership sales tactics
- With the leadership of the Director of Guest Services & Membership, infuse a culture of membership throughout Butterfly Pavilion
- With the Director of Guest Services & Membership, lead the elevation of the overall guest experience to a consistently world-class level
- Project/Time management
- CRM knowledge
- Detail oriented
- Reporting and data management
- Conflict resolution
- Strategic Thinking
- Communication skills
- Builds relationships
- Candidate must have a four year college degree in a related field
- Minimum four years of membership equivalent combination of marketing and membership experience
- Minimum four years of experience in Excel
- Proven experience in the development and execution of a strategic plans to retain, upgrade, and grow memberships
- Database management experience and knowledge of CENTAMAN software preferred
- Adherence to timeliness and strong organizational skills
- Excellent writing and speaking ability and strong interpersonal skills
- Salesmanship and the ability to inspire and motivate prospective members
- Experience with new media technologies, such as blogs, twitter, and online social marketing preferred
- High energy, positive, “can‐do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail
- Ability to analyze statistical data and reports
- Strong computer literacy is essential: Excel, PC; MS Office
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of this position, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the position will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
At Butterfly Pavilion, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and stand, use their hands and fingers, to handle/feel/grasp. The employee is occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift, carry and items up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/butterflies/jobs/2636105-20970
Position is open until filled. No phone calls or drop in’s please.
Compensation: $50,000 to $55,000 per year