Music Director, Stratus Chamber Orchestra
Music Director, Stratus Chamber Orchestra
Augustana Arts is seeking a Music Director for the Stratus Chamber Orchestra beginning with planning for the 2022-23 season.
Stratus Chamber Orchestra, a program of Augustana Arts, is a semi-professional orchestra comprised of players who share a vision of attaining the highest possible standard of excellence in musicianship. The musicians of Stratus Chamber Orchestra bring a rich variety of training and experience to the ensemble’s musical tapestry. The musicians also bring to the Orchestra a wide array of performing experience, gained through their membership in many professional orchestras, as well as leadership positions in virtually every academic and community orchestra in the Denver Metropolitan area. Almost all members of Stratus Chamber Orchestra are private and/or classroom music teachers.
Stratus Chamber Orchestra was created in 1999 through the vision of several of its players. Stratus maintains an active concert schedule for Augustana Arts through its regular subscription concerts performed at Augustana Lutheran Church and other venues. The orchestra began with focus on baroque and early classical masterworks and has more recently become known for programming contemporary repertoire alongside standard chamber music repertoire in an immersive format. The orchestra also expands to a full symphonic orchestra for the larger works it presents. The orchestra has collaborated with groups such as Ballet Noveau Denver, Kim Robards Dance, Young Voices of Denver, the Colorado Chorale, the Arvada Center Chorale, St. Martin’s Choir, and many more. Stratus musicians also play several programs at Augustana Lutheran Church each year, where they are the “Orchestra in Residence.”
Responsibilities of the Music Director
- Select innovative programming for Artistic Direction Committee and Executive Director of Augustana Arts approval and conduct an annual formal season which typically includes 4 annual concerts (2 fall/2 spring – two performances each) and the annual spring Gala. In addition, a family summer immersive concert offered free to the public is often added to the schedule.
- Prepare for and lead 4 rehearsals per concert for the formal concert season which extends from August to May.
- Work with the Coordinator of Outreach and Education and Executive Director to incorporate youth from underrepresented communities in performances as possible through strategic and creative programming.
- Support and assist in facilitating the “Shine with Stratus” spring string competition.
- Participate in auditioning and selecting players for regular and alternate membership utilizing DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) best practices for recruiting, auditioning, and supporting musicians.
- Coordinate with personnel managers regarding player needs for each concert.
- Collaborate with the Concertmaster to facilitate inter-orchestra communication.
- Communicate and/or interact with audiences and the general community in upholding Stratus and Augustana Arts’ goals and mission.
- Network with directors of musical groups, guest artists, and other musicians for purposes of collaboration and participation in the local, regional, and/or global musical community to continue the tradition of an annual collaboration each season.
- Participate actively in the annual the strategic planning process for Stratus and Augustana Arts and assist in the development of a perpetual 5-year programming plan for Stratus.
- Work with the ED to develop and adhere to the Stratus fiscal year budget.
- Encourage and support all marketing initiatives.
- Minimum 5 years professional conducting experience.
- Demonstrated administrative capabilities.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume including a .mp4, YouTube, or other video platform link of a conducted performance to email@example.com and include “Stratus Music Director Search” in the subject line. In addition, please answer the following questions in 250 words or less for each question:
- Why are you interested in this position?
2. What is your knowledge of Augustana Arts and Stratus Chamber Orchestra?
- What is your philosophy and approach to programming and conducting?
- How do you interact with the orchestra and/or an audience?
- What are your goals for the orchestra over the next 1-5 years?
Applications must be received by 5 PM on Sunday, August 15, 2021. Top applicants will be invited to audition with Stratus musicians and conduct a preselected piece on Saturday, November 13, 2021. The final 2 candidates will be invited to serve as Guest Conductor for weekend performances in either February 2022 and April 2022. Final selection will be announced in May, 2022. The term of contract is one-year probationary beginning July 1, 2022 with annual reviews.Apply Here