Outreach and Education Coordinator
OUTREACH AND EDUCATION COORDINATOR
As a leader in innovation, Augustana Arts holds a unique position in the Denver arts community as a true multi-tiered classical music organization. This small but mighty nonprofit serves 7,000 to 10,000 people every year by producing exceptional music concerts and providing young people in the community with life-changing music education opportunities. In 2002, City Strings was founded to bring the power of music education to the least fortunate children in Metro Denver. City Strings has now transformed into Music Encounters with the addition of City Drums in 2020 and City Strums in 2021. The office and instrument storage location is Augustana Lutheran Church, 5000 East Alameda Ave., Denver. However, outreach programs take place in Denver, Arapahoe, Adams, Jefferson, and Douglas Counties.
As part of its strategic growth goals, Augustana Arts is pleased to expand the role of our outreach programs by hiring an Outreach and Education Coordinator with responsibilities for the ongoing coordination and facilitation of Music Encounters (City Strings, Drums & Strums) as well as the Stratus Chamber Orchestra and Colorado Women’s Chorale. This position will work closely with the Executive Director (ED), teachers, and Music Directors to offer creative and relevant initiatives, programs, and special projects that strive to embrace and champion diversity, equity, inclusivity, and accessibility of the arts for all.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Supervise overall administration of Music Encounters (ME) program including scheduling classes at school and community sites, arranging teachers, and helping to recruit students.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to launch EMERGE, a new mentorship program for 8th – 12th grade students from low-income communities who show exceptional interest and desire to further their music interest.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise ME teachers and mentors. Manage process to track student attendance and payroll.
- Manage instrument inventory and assist in tracking distribution/retrieval. Purchase, repair, and maintain instruments and supplies as needed.
- Plan and coordinate fall and spring recitals in collaboration with ME teachers.
- Maintain ME curriculum and update as needed with latest best practices for classroom management, relevant music options, and teaching pedagogy.
- Assist in collecting evaluation data for grant applications, review, and final reports. This includes assisting teachers in distributing surveys, focus groups, or evaluation.
- Research, recommend, and establish new Music Encounter sites as necessary.
- Work closely with the Music Director of the Stratus Chamber Orchestra and Colorado Women’s Chorale to facilitate involvement of students in concert programming as appropriate. Brainstorm and present creative planning ideas to nurture outreach and education programs with the orchestra including collaborations with other SCFD organizations, school assemblies, etc.
- Play an active role in planning and producing “Splash into Arts” summer immersive concert, “Shine with Stratus” String competition, Tiny Tots/children’s concert, and other outreach initiatives.
- Serve as advocate and ambassador for Music Encounters at school-related opportunities, speaking engagements, or other community relations functions.
- Develop the annual Music Encounters’ budget in collaboration with the Executive Director. Participate in envisioning and implementing new initiatives and programs that support DEIA efforts of Augustana Arts and its ensembles.
This position reports to the ED and serves on the Artistic/Programming sub-committee of the Board. This is a part-time, non-benefited, salaried position. Remote hours vary depending on the time of the year, but generally 15-20 hours per week.
- Undergraduate degree in music or related field.
- Minimum 2 years management or program development experience.
- Self-directed with proven problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and complete multiple tasks.
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle diverse responsibilities.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Musical training in Suzuki methodology.
- Own transportation with the ability to deliver instruments to/from sites.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title “Outreach and Education Coordinator” in the subject line. Application deadline is June 20, 2021.Apply Here