Part Time Ceramics Instructor
City of Aurora Cultural Services Division
Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we’re growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION / DEPARTMENT
Part Time Ceramics Instructor
• This is a part-time, temporary position with no benefits.
• Compensation $18/hr
Bicentennial Art Center (BAC) serves nearly 200 students annually. BAC is one of a few local centers outside of colleges offering highfire reduction firings. The center has a strong commitment to equity and actively works to create inclusive communities.
Bicentennial Art Center (B.A.C.) is committed to diversity and inclusion and is intentional about creating a learning and working environment that recognizes the value of individual and group differences. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage inquiries from applicants who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our center. B.A.C. does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, age, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, religion, or national origin in employment or in our educational programs and activities.
Preliminary screening will be made on the basis of completed application package submitted by candidate.
Completed application package includes:
• A letter of interest detailing experience as related to the position.
• A resume & Portfolio.
• A statement of your teaching philosophy.
Bicentennial Art Center is dedicated to maintaining curriculum integrity and consistent instruction by providing high quality teaching experiences. Bicentennial Art Center recognizes and appreciates the key role and contributions that instructors have in relation to student success.
We are learner-centered and responsive to diverse student goals. We will facilitate learning where, when, and how it best suits the needs of the diverse learning public we serve. Bicentennials vision provides a place for the community at large to learn and develop appreciation of the ceramic arts through a variety of clay classes. Community outreach includes events such as workshops with guest artists as well as classes for groups with unique needs. BAC teachings focus on quality, innovation, self-initiative, and problem solving. Collaboration, teamwork, cheerfulness, diversity and a priority on student success and satisfaction characterize our work and our management throughout the center. We recognize that our faculty, together with our staff, is our greatest asset and that our commitment to their continuous professional development is essential. We are driven to excel and embrace the importance of listening to our students.
• Creates an effective learning environment for students.
• Teaches courses consistent with brochure description, at the scheduled time and place and meets required hours.
• Uses appropriate resources, technology, and pedagogy in the delivery of courses.
• Sustains course consistency.
• Collaborates with colleagues for instructional improvement and adheres to facility standards and policies.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Establish and maintain environment conducive to student learning.
• Provide instruction through varied demonstration processes.
• Prepare for and instruct assigned course(s) using appropriate learning experiences and
materials which provide the opportunity to meet overall course objectives and student goals.
• Evaluate student progress through day to day evaluation, written examinations and overall observation.
• Actively support student success through guidance, advising and assisting individual students as needed.
• Maintain levels of professional knowledge and expertise, including trainings.
• Maintain a clean classroom environment.
Higher education desirable but not required. Ceramics or visual arts degree with a Ceramics concentration, with substantial professional portfolio and work experience may be considered.
Teaching experience in Ceramics.
Understanding of both Raku firing technique and Highfire process.
Comprehension of the glazing process, chemicals/materials used in both highfire and Raku glazes.
Assists students with study problems and with evaluating their potential for successful achievement in the course or discipline. Makes referrals as appropriate, i.e. for tutoring.
Regularly checks email.
Responds quickly to e-mail requests from administration.
Assists in maintaining a safe and mutually respectful instructional environment in and outside the classroom
Maintains necessary educational practices, professional skills and currency appropriate to the teaching.
Interacts sensitively with students, staff and faculty of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Promotes a positive collegiate atmosphere.
- Varies according to the needs of current Ceramic courses.
- Onsite Ceramics Studio Classroom
- Physical movement as needed for instructor demonstrations, teaching and assisting students
- Weight lifting, up to 25 lbs.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E. Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.