Production Assistant, Temporary
Denver Botanic Gardens
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Temporary Production Assistant in our Exhibitions Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
This position provides essential visual production support to the exhibition design manager within the Exhibitions, Art & Learning Engagement Department to help implement the Gardens’ ambitious exhibition program, taking a proactive and detail-oriented approach in a demanding, fast-paced, and multi-priority environment. This is not a design role; essential duties include typesetting, resizing, and pre-press production of graphics as well as assisting with the physical installation and deinstallation of graphics and other exhibition visual design features.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with production and layout of labels, text panels, and a variety of graphics projects for on-site and traveling exhibitions.
- Coordinates production of print projects, including:
- Preparing files and sending to vendor
- Reviewing proofs for accuracy and quality
- Attending press checks
- Arranging for delivery and storage of materials
- Prepares written specifications for outside vendors; work with vendors and contractors on production, cost estimates, installation, and deinstallation as needed.
- Produces updates of gallery and exhibition-related signage.
- Formats digital images for use on web, video, interactives, and other uses.
- Orders and manages reprints of print materials.
- Maintains files and retrievable records on all jobs and ensure that equipment is updated and in good working order.
- Maintains and preserves the quality and integrity of the Gardens’ brand standards in all applications.
- Coordinates other visual exhibition elements including lighting, furnishings, and paint.
- Produces resized versions of existing ads or other campaign components.
- Assists with production of other signage and environmental graphics to support institutional signage projects.
- Supports and contributes to Exhibitions departmental activities as needed.
- Maintains satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers, and others.
- Maintain a positive, helpful, and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at Denver Botanic Gardens, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skills in Print and digital production Adobe Creative Suite; specifically, In-Design, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Knowledge of design, typography, and preflight and production.
- Ability to be hands-on in-gallery, including graphic installation and deinstallation as needed.
- Knowledge with Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook and Teams.
- Must be detail-oriented for projects big and small, and ability to work on many projects simultaneously, meeting multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge with writing workflows, AP and MLA style, and Spanish language are a plus but not required.
- Ability to navigate and prioritize complex projects with overlapping timelines and move quickly between different kinds of activities and projects.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans, when necessary, throughout the day.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of DBG both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
- Two years of design, production, or related experience.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent school experience from a college or technical school preferred, but not required.
Negligible travel required. Requires the ability to travel to remote locations (or other Garden locations) where environment may vary significantly.
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!
Compensation: $20.19 - $25.00 Per Hour