Safety & Security Officer – Chatfield
Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: Maintains a safe and secure environment for customers and employees of Denver Botanic Gardens by patrolling and monitoring premises and personnel.
Monitors Denver Botanic Gardens property and facilities to ensure the safety and security of all people and property associated with the Gardens. This is accomplished by CCTV observation and making periodic patrols to check for irregularities and to inspect protection devices and fire control equipment.
Career Type: Full- Time
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or minimum one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Working knowledge of Micro Soft Office, including but not limited to MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Excellent communication and customer service background and skills. CPR and First Aid Certification is a requirement for this post.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides superior customer service to the Gardens employees, visitors, and volunteers
- Patrol premises regularly to maintain order and establish a presence
- Monitor and authorize entrance of vehicles or people on the property
- Secure all exits, doors, and windows after the end of operations
- Check surveillance cameras periodically to identify disruptions or unlawful acts
- Investigate people for suspicious activity or possessions
- Respond to alarms by investigating and assessing the situation.
- Provide assistance to people in need.
- Submit reports of daily surveillance activity.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements including checking fire extinguishers, AEDs, monitoring for alarms, lights out, door functionality, leaks, and other issues. Takes responsibility for reporting damages, calling for repairs.
- Ensures compliance to the Gardens policies pertaining to all personnel, visitors, contractors, and members.
- Secures premises and personnel by being highly visible, patrolling the property, monitoring surveillance equipment, inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points; permitting entry.
- Prevents losses and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Communicates in a manner that is open, honest, and responsive in all situations; to the extent authorized, provides information regarding the facility and surrounding area as requested by visitors.
- Responds to emergencies in an orderly manner utilizing proper training and following all Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs).
- Performs foot patrols; checks grounds and facilities for unsafe conditions, unlocked doors, blocked ingress and egress, mechanical problems, and trespassers.
Other Job Duties:
- Carries out specific tasks and duties of a similar nature and scope as required for the assigned post.
- Proactively evaluates and suggests innovations for improvement to process and techniques.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Maintains a positive, helpful, and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Presents a positive image of the Gardens
- Performs other duties as requested by management.
Major benefits include the choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA); a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes, and summer concert tickets.
Denver Botanic Gardens employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Compensation: $21.00 - $24.00 per hour