Friends of Dinosaur Ridge
Who we are:
Located on Jefferson County Open Space, Dinosaur Ridge is one of the most important paleontology sites on Earth. Our globally iconic site has been ranked by paleontologists as the #1 dinosaur track site in the nation, and one of the most important in the world. Dinosaur Ridge typically draws almost 250,000 annual visitors to our outdoor museum to view approximately 300 dinosaur tracks still preserved on the sandstone slope. Dinosaur Ridge was also the site of the first Stegosaurus discovery on earth and was designated National Natural Landmark (a sub-unit of the National Park Service) in 1973. The Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1989 with the purpose of preserving the fossils on Dinosaur Ridge and educating the public about the natural history of the area. Our mission was later expanded to include the fossil sites at Triceratops Trail in Golden, Colorado.
Who you are:
In the role of Scheduling Coordinator, you will be primarily responsible for interacting with our public-facing staff and volunteers as they schedule their work time with us, and with schools and other visiting organizational groups as they seek to arrange meaningful visits to our iconic Denver attraction or to access one of our remote/virtual learning opportunities. You will be a key communications hub, coordinating both external and internal scheduling to keep the organization running efficiently.
Volunteers, as well as public-facing staff and other staff, will turn to and rely upon you for the scheduling of their shifts, and assistance with changes to those shifts when necessary. Their presence at various tasks on site and the timing of those shifts will require forethought and coordination with other management decision makers as well as the individual staff members.
You will also be the first point of contact for external organizations, such as schools, when they inquire about arranging a formal visit or want to access online offerings. You will work with them to identify the program that best meets their needs, and when necessary, select a mutually acceptable time and date, and sometimes greet them upon their visit to Dinosaur Ridge. You will send materials and reminders to them, as appropriate and answer basic questions about the Dinosaur Ridge sites, history, and program offerings.
Your communications with external and internal parties will involve effective email, phone, and interpersonal skills. Your approach will be one with a high degree of accuracy, efficiency, and professionalism. You will use scheduling software and shared electronic calendars to track the schedules of all of these parties.
The Scheduling Coordinator may provide occasional administrative support for our popular summer camps and other programs.
Successful candidates will demonstrate strong people skills, excellent verbal communication, genuine ability to get along with coworkers and external organizational representatives, and of course enthusiasm about nature and dinosaurs!
We anticipate this non-exempt part-time position will work approximately 20-25 hours per week and will allocate their time approximately:
- Working with staff and volunteers on shift scheduling – 45%
- Working with external parties to schedule visits to Dinosaur Ridge or access online/remote resources – 45%
- Summer camp administrative support – 5%
- Attending meetings or staff trainings – 5%
- Age 21+
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Able to work and walk around outside in a variety of weather conditions
- Available to work 3-5 days per week, including occasional availability on weekends
- Highly organized, systematic, deadline-driven, and attentive to detail
- Friendly, patient demeanor that can be firm when necessary
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer and technical skills; experience and/or aptitude working with technical applications, including typical spreadsheet, database, and word processing software
- Team-oriented and consistently demonstrates positive values in work habits
- Passion for the mission of Dinosaur Ridge
Admired, but not Required, Qualities:
- 2-year Associates’ degree or 4-year Bachelors’ degree in a related field
- Experience working with scheduling software and related databases
- Minimum two years working experience in a similar or related position; nonprofit experience preferred
- Interest in paleontology, geology, and/or science
Equal Opportunity Employer
Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, volunteers, and guests. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on job requirements, individual performance, and business needs.