Urban Farm Market Assistant
Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: Under direct supervision provides support to the urban food team (in the Horticulture department) by assisting with daily urban farm duties and staffing urban farm stands. Addresses issues/problems by applying prescribed rules, policies or procedures.
Career Type: Seasonal, Full-time
Compensation: $15.00 per hour
Qualifications/Experience: Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year
college or technical school; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Basic understanding of correct horticultural practices and experience in all aspects of routine garden maintenance, including but not limited to: planting, weed identification and control, cultural requirements of herbaceous and woody plants and plant identification knowledge, harvesting, processing and packing. Experience with urban farming, food crops, or farm stand/market sales is required. The ability to work weekends is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as primary staff lead for farm stands and food donation programs.
- Responsible for assigned aspects of record keeping and reporting of food donations.
- Uses appropriate horticultural techniques and has an understanding of plant cultural requirements.
- Completes regular assigned tasks including, but not limited to weeding, watering, planting, harvesting, which includes weekends as scheduled or required.
- Practices integrated pest management when dealing with plant disease, nutrition and insect problems.
- Maintains paths, beds and common areas free of weeds, debris, and litter.
- Provides courteous, accurate responses to all inquiries.
- Interacts in a positive manner with members of the community in which the urban farms are located.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in special events as needed including but not limited to Plant Sale, Fete, Concerts Series, and Blossoms of Light. Duties may include assisting in set-up, teardown and cleanup.
- Maintains satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers, volunteers and others.
- Maintains a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Uses appropriate safety procedures.
- Performs other duties as requested by management, including snow removal in the winter.