Vice President of Education & Community Engagement
Title: Vice President of Education & Community Engagement
Department: Education, Programs, & Community Engagement
Reports to: President and CEO
Direct Reports to: Exhibit Director, School Programs Manager, Community Programs Director, Volunteer Program Manager
FLSA Status: Full Time/Exempt
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
Looking forward, we are committed to providing the most enriching experience for our audience, being recognized as a scientific authority, and being a leading educational resource on invertebrates. To this end, Butterfly Pavilion has begun the early stages of launching a $40 million Capital Campaign to expand Butterfly Pavilion into the Center for Invertebrate Research and Conservation (CIRC) in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in 2022.
A large part of who we are as an organization is how we interact with each other. Valuing our facility, guests, donors and our team is a priority, without these puzzle pieces we can’t make it all work, these Core Values guide us throughout our day. We Love What We Do at Butterfly Pavilion, we Make Science Cool by Going Above and Beyond for all guests, donors, and team members while also Leading Change in invertebrate conservation. We Know Our Stuff and work to have a healthy culture by Being Positive and Welcoming to All. These aren’t just words, but words for us to live by here at Butterfly Pavilion.
Position Summary: The Vice President of Education and Community Engagement is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of all education on-site, off-site and community based programs, as well as exhibit development strategy acquisition and exhibit improvement efforts and volunteer engagement at Butterfly Pavilion.
• Provide organizational leadership as a member of the Pavilion’s executive team providing strategy and vision specifically related to Pavilion’s programs, exhibits, community engagement and volunteer engagement.
• Work with executive team members on special projects, staff development and the implementation of organizational culture.
• Supervises Education Department staff including education coordination, on-site and outreach instructors, interns and organization’s volunteers. Provide performance evaluations of education personnel.
• Oversee the research, production and promotion of educational programs including age/grade appropriate curriculums, general audience and professional level classes, seminars and workshops as it pertains to organization’s mission.
• Lead vision and direction around all off-site community programming including virtual, distance and live stream learning strategies.
• Support the development of new programs and educational community services.
• Research and compilation of information in instructional areas.
• Develop strategic models for department including proposal, sponsorships, and implementation of departmental budget.
• Identify and propose alternative educational program funding sources, including the preparation of grant proposals and the development of specific donor support.
• Remain current with latest information concerning standards in the professional field; maintaining peer affiliations.
• Compile, maintain and report current statistical information on program participation as it pertains to youth and adult education; identifying current trends in regional marketplaces in order to remain viable, competitive and innovative.
• Direct the design, development and installation of Pavilion exhibitory including the production of educational interpretation in coordination with the Executive Team and organizational strategic planning.
• Supervision of the Exhibit build and Exhibit interpretation teams.
• Support strategic development of future exhibit planning and organizational needs assessment.
• Support strategic growth of volunteer engagement throughout Butterfly Pavilion, ensuring that the organization embraces volunteer culture through the incorporation of trends and best practices in volunteer management.
• Supervision of Volunteer engagement team and direct Service Enterprise initiatives.
• Represent and lead Pavilion in local partnerships, collaborations and affiliations as community leader and liaison in order to expand Butterfly Pavilion’s strategic footprint.
• Represent department through Board & Committee Leadership.
• Support institutional evaluation program and direct inclusivity and diversity directions.
• Other duties as described by the President and CEO.
• Regular attendance and participation in department, branch, and facility-wide meetings.
Qualifications / Experience
• Master’s Degree in an appropriate education field or equivalent required.
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience, 5 years of which must be in a leadership capacity in a non-formal education setting.
1. Fund development
3. Decision making
4. Resource management
5. Strategic thinking
6. Financial/fiscal management
7. Resource generation
8. Business Acumen
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of the Vice President of Education & Community Engagement these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the Vice President of Education Programs and Community Engagement will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions within this position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the Vice President of Education and Community Engagement.
While performing the responsibilities of the Vice President of Education and Community Engagement, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
A range of hours in a typical work week for this salary exempt position is 45 hour a week generally Monday – Friday.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/butterflies/jobs/1668799-20970
Position is open until filled.
No phone calls or drop in’s, please.Apply Here