Volunteer Coordinator at Chatfield Farms
Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: To effectively and efficiently involve volunteers at Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms in meaningful ways, to provide the orientation, training and communications needed to motivate and educate volunteers. Along with promoting a positive image of Denver Botanic Gardens to the community and potential volunteers through active outreach and recruitment; to effectively and efficiently recruit volunteers for appropriate positions within the Chatfield Farms site. Some weekend and evening work may be required.
Career Type: Full-time
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of one year of volunteer coordination experience including recruitment and screening of volunteers, project management, record development and maintenance. Experience using volunteer management software such as Volgistics preferred. Must have excellent interpersonal and written communication skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information. Excellent proofreading and data base management skills required. Must be able to work weekends occasionally. Must be a self-motivated team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible and adjust to multiple changing priorities
Essential Job Duties:
- Communicate with departments within Chatfield Farms and Denver Botanic Gardens (multiple locations) to understand how they work, develop partnerships and assess their volunteering needs.
- Generate appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of Chatfield Farms and Denver Botanic Gardens.
- Ensure there is appropriate support, communication, and training for volunteers
- Promote volunteering through recruitment and collaboration with Denver Botanic Gardens with Marketing and PR departments and partners.
- Recruit qualified volunteers to fulfill the needs of Denver Botanic Gardens’ Special Events, and work in collaboration with the Special Events Department to determine volunteer needs, benefits and logistics. Develop written job descriptions outlining the responsibilities of event volunteers. Oversee day-of volunteering efforts.
- Monitor, support, and motivate volunteers in their roles.
- Celebrate volunteering by participating in ongoing volunteer recognition and engagement programs.
- Maintain records and reports of volunteer feedback, demographics, hours, values/FTE equivalents, substitute availability, and other reports concerning daily, monthly and annual needs.
- Work proactively with staff to provide accurate information and guidance to volunteers.
- Assure volunteer satisfaction by promoting and implementing the Volunteer Services mission, vision, and values.
- Support growth of the volunteer program at Denver Botanic Gardens by collecting volunteer feedback, utilizing volunteer management best practices, and seeking continuous improvement.
Other Job Duties:
- Assist with database and status changes to volunteer records.
- Participate in training for Denver Botanic Gardens staff to be effective in managing volunteers.
- Act as a resource in regard to volunteer database management and the internet/intranet.
- Supervise internal volunteers in department using Denver Botanic Gardens volunteer management policies and best practices.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with staff, volunteers, and partners.
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to all departments to assure highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens volunteers and visitors
- Participate in local professional organization memberships and conferences for volunteer administration in similar cultural facilities.
- Maintain satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others.
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when interacting with volunteers, members, and visitors.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Benefits: Major benefits include choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA) ; a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.Apply Here