Volunteer Coordinator – York Street
Denver Botanic Gardens
Job Summary: Denver Botanic Gardens Volunteer Program strives to cultivate fulfilling and mission driven volunteer contributions rooted in community, connection, trust, and impact. These pillars guide all aspects of organizational volunteer efforts and highlight our commitment to all Gardens volunteers. This position supports Denver Botanic Gardens volunteer community and all programming (including but not limited to adult volunteer, teen volunteer, teen leadership, and special event programming). Volunteer Coordinator effectively and efficiently involves volunteers at Denver Botanic Gardens in meaningful volunteer positions while providing orientation, training, and communication to engage volunteers. Volunteer Coordinator promotes a positive image of Denver Botanic Gardens to the community and potential volunteers through active outreach and recruitment; to proactively recruit volunteers for appropriate positions. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required.
Career Type: Full-time
Compensation: $17.48 per hour
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of one year of volunteer coordination experience including recruitment and screening of volunteers, project management, record development and maintenance preferred. Experience using volunteer management software such as Volgistics preferred. Demonstrate strong proficiency with standard office equipment and software including Microsoft Office, Powerpoint, Publisher, Excel, Outlook, Word) and Microsoft Outlook. Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills. Must be flexible and able to handle multiple and changing priorities. Must be a self-motivated team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible, approach projects proactively, and provide intentional feedback to the team. Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information. Excellent proofreading and database management skills ideal. Occasional weekend and evening work required.
Essential Job Duties:
- Collaborate with departments within Denver Botanic Gardens to develop partnerships, assess volunteering needs, and understand how they function.
- Develop appropriate volunteer opportunities and volunteer role descriptions based on the needs of Denver Botanic Gardens.
- Develop written job descriptions outlining volunteer responsibilities to clarify expectations and ensure the success of volunteers and staff.
- Ensure appropriate support and training for volunteers.
- Research, develop, recommend, and execute creative strategies to foster the organization’s diversity goals.
- Celebrate volunteer engagement by enhancing and participating in ongoing volunteer recognition.
- Maintain intentional, professional, and respectful working relationships with staff and volunteers, visitors, and members.
- Promote volunteer engagement through strategic recruitment and publicity campaigns
- Recruit qualified volunteers to fulfill the needs of Denver Botanic Gardens’ programming and events.
- Collaborate with various Denver Botanic Gardens departments and staff to determine volunteer needs and logistics.
- Support, motivate and connect with volunteers and staff to ensure program success.
- Maintain records and reports of volunteer demographics, hours, values/FTE equivalents, substitute availability, and other reports concerning daily, monthly, and annual needs. Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers.
- Establish and demonstrate trust through exercising discretion and personal accountability in all areas.
- Work proactively with staff to provide accurate information and assistance to the Volunteers.
- Promote and implement the Volunteer Services Pillars of Programing (Community, Connection, Trust, Impact) and volunteer engagement best practices.
- Support efforts to share the impacts of volunteer engagement throughout Denver Botanic Gardens.
- Gather and incorporate authentic feedback from Denver Botanic Gardens community to assess volunteer programming.
Other Job Duties:
- Work closely with and support Volunteer Services Team and their programs at Chatfield Farms.
- Assist with volunteer database management and reporting.
- Support and participate in training for staff to be effective in managing and engaging volunteers.
- Maintain a positive and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to all departments to assure the highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens volunteers and visitors.
- Participate in local professional networks and professional development opportunities for volunteer engagement.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Benefits: Major benefits include choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA) ; a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.Apply Here