Title: Volunteer Manager
Position Reports To: Vice President of Community Engagement, Education and Inclusion
Direct Reports: Volunteers
About Butterfly Pavilion: Here at Butterfly Pavilion, we transform the way people think about invertebrates. These small but mighty animals that surround us are so much more than people think. They are everywhere, because everything depends on them. They are the hidden heroes of the animal kingdom. As the leader in invertebrate knowledge, inspiration and connection, Butterfly Pavilion works to foster an appreciation of these critical animals by educating the public about the need to protect and care for threatened habitats globally, while conducting research for solutions in invertebrate conservation. Whether it is providing unique, hands-on learning experiences in our exhibits and educational programs, conducting new research that sets the standard for zoos across the country or building innovative solutions for species and habitat conservation in countries around the world, Butterfly Pavilion is leading the way in ensuring invertebrates are protected for the future.
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt
Salary Rate: $39,000-$41,000 per year + Full Benefits
Position Summary: The Volunteer Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing an exemplary volunteer program to support Butterfly Pavilion in achieving its strategic goals of providing the best possible experience for our audience, being a recognized scientific authority, and being a leading educational institution.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Recruit and retain volunteers whose interests and values match that of Butterfly Pavilion;
- Increase volunteers’ understanding of Butterfly Pavilion’s vision, mission, and goals;
- Community engagement through providing meaningful volunteer opportunities that meet the needs of the volunteer and the needs of Butterfly Pavilion.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities
- Recruit volunteers from the community with varied backgrounds and experience on an on-going basis for organizational needs.
- Reauthorize and institute Service Enterprise model to advance Butterfly Pavilion organization and community volunteer objectives
- Regularly support entire staff in the development and integration of volunteer support and positions
- Advance Butterfly Pavilion Diversity, Equity and Inclusion effort through recruitment of volunteers that represent the diverse communities and populations of the Denver Metro area.
- Maintain job descriptions for each volunteer assignment
- Ensure volunteers are scheduled to support the various areas of operations, to include visitor service areas, exhibits and education, special events, development, and marketing/communications
- Train volunteers and/or ensure that training is received from other staff as needed. Develop and maintain volunteer records, training curriculum, training checklists, and manuals as necessary.
- Manage the scheduling of all volunteer activity
- Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service
- Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events
- Evaluate all aspects of volunteer program to ensure effectiveness and recommend and implement changes as appropriate
- Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation
- Create and implement a strategic volunteer recruitment and retention plan using the Service Enterprise model
- Interview and place applicants for volunteer positions
- Create and maintain policies and procedures for volunteer recognition
- Host and attend recruiting events within the community to attract qualified candidates
- Work with Marketing Director to promote opportunities for volunteers
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers
- Act as a single point of contact for communications
- Confer with volunteers to resolve grievances and promote cooperation
- Create and distribute volunteer communications and publications
- Facilitate distribution of information relevant to volunteers
- Attend Volunteer Leadership Council meetings
- Provide guidance and direction to Volunteer Leadership Council
- Ensure Volunteer Leadership Council activities are aligned with the mission and vision of Butterfly Pavilion
- Promote the activities and achievements of the Volunteer Leadership Council
- Identify community outreach opportunities such as fairs and festivals
- Assist Vice President of Finance in drafting and overseeing volunteer program budget
- Project/Time management
- Department knowledge
- Detail oriented
- Building teams
- Conflict resolution
- Fund Development
- Bachelor’s Degree in Volunteer Management or related field
- At least 2 years of volunteer management or appropriate related experience
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and strategic thinking
- Demonstrated skills in resource management and project management
- Highly organized, as well as motivational and vision-based
- Ability to prioritize big picture ideas and execute into tangible actions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to present effective and compelling messages to individuals, groups, and the public
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a diverse variety of individuals
- Experience with volunteer database such as Volgistics
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office Suite computer skills
- Demonstrated capability to conduct one’s self in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with the public and/or with difficult situations
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
- Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities
- Ability to work productively in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
While performing the responsibilities of this position, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the position will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
At Butterfly Pavilion, the employee is occasionally exposed to moderate to loud environmental noise for extended periods of time.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and stand, use their hands and fingers, to handle/feel/grasp. The employee is occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Employee should be able to lift, carry and items up to 50 lbs.
How to Apply:
Butterfly Pavilion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for open positions and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or veteran status.
Applicants must submit a Resume and Cover Letter to the following link: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/butterflies/jobs/1430693-20970
Position is open until filled. No phone calls or drop in’s please.