Youth Programs Intern
Museum of Contemporary Art Denver
Youth Programs Intern
We are looking for a creative individual who has interests and/or experience in working with teen audiences and who has a passion for learning about museum education and career pathways in a museum setting. This opportunity is being offered as a seasonal 3-month summer paid internship running June through August 2021.
- You are interested in connecting with museum staff and the local creative community to learn about museum careers.
- You like working with teen audiences and exploring ways to research, develop and evaluate school outreach programs and teen workshops.
- You have a high school degree or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Those that are pursuing or holding a degree in Museum Studies or related fields preferred.
- You may have experience with art handling and studio art practices.
- You have excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, you can communicate with a variety of audiences, you appreciate the details, and you are organized.
- You have a flexible schedule that allows you to work 10-16 hours per week including some evening and weekend events.
A Day in the Life
- Programming & Education
- Assist in the preparation, set-up and facilitation of teen workshops.
- Work with Youth Programs Manager to support the production of teen events.
- Support the installation and de-installation of the youth exhibition space.
- Assists with the coordination of Instagram posts on the @mcadenverteens channel.
- Provide administrative support to the Youth Program team staff members.
- Aid in the documentation of programs including attendance records and photo archives.
- Contribute feedback and assist in the research and evaluation process of high school outreach programs.
- Under the guidance of the Youth Programs Manager, develop one workshop or event aimed at engaging our teen audience at the museum or virtually.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA Denver) is a nonprofit organization providing an innovative forum for contemporary art that inspires and challenges, creating understanding and dialog about the art of our time. MCA Denver is paving a new path for a 21st century museum that is Both/And: We are both advancing the field of contemporary art and providing a platform for creative expression, in the broadest sense of the term. We present both world-class exhibitions and quirky events, serious lectures and epic parties. We are both sophisticated and unpretentious. We welcome all audiences, celebrate all voices, and share all stories to provide one-of-a-kind experiences for our community.
Our Core Values
Adventurous – We are risk-takers. We are creative, open, curious, and sometimes weird.
Excellent – We strive to be the best in our field, we have high expectations, we believe in being resilient, creative problem-solvers, and professionals.
Human Centric – We are collaborative. We strive for emotional intelligence, and we value relationships.
Inclusive – We are welcoming to all audiences, voices, and stories. We believe in being authentic and inclusive. We actively seek and engage with diverse perspectives.
MCA Denver was founded in 1996 by philanthropist Sue Cannon and a group of committed volunteers and artists who responded to the community’s need for a contemporary art museum in Denver. In 2007, we opened our new, 27,000-square foot, environmentally sustainable facility in the Riverfront neighborhood of LODO Denver. Our building has five galleries on two floors as well as dedicated education spaces, a gift shop, an innovative art lending library, and a rooftop bar and café. Visit us at https://mcadenver.org to learn more.
- This is a nonexempt, part-time seasonal position running June through August 2021. The hourly rate is $15/hr and requires a commitment of approximately 10-16 hours per week for the duration of the program.
- Please submit a resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com. In the subject line of the email please include YOUR NAME – Youth Programs Internship. Applications will close on May 14th, 2021.
The Legal Stuff
- You need to be able to sit or stand for 4 hours per day. While not frequent, you need to reach for, move and/or 25 pounds and use your hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, mobility to access a wide variety of meeting and museum settings, and to perform a variety of tasks that involve standing, walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, bending, and twisting, occasionally climbing stairs or using an elevator, possibly reaching chest high and overhead for materials, with reasonable accommodation (we put it all in 1 sentence to make our legal team happy!).
- MCA Denver is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all staff members and to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at MCA Denver are based on business needs, job requirements and individual applicant qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, or belief, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), family or parental status, or any other status protected by law. MCA Denver will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.