Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
Title: Development Director
Position Class: Leadership
FLSA Status: Full Time/Exempt/Salary
Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package (paid time off, 403b retirement plan, health, dental and vision insurance)
Office Location: Brighton or Fort Collins
Reports to: CAO and/or ED
Direct Reports: Grant Writer
Purpose: The Development Director is primarily responsible for increasing the organization’s short-term and long-term revenue goals through diversification of funding streams. This position works closely with the Executive Director, Leadership Team and Board of Directors.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with executive leadership to identify organizational development priorities that support strategic direction for the organization
- Lead the identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors
- Manage all areas of fundraising including gift entry and substantiation, gift processing, and budget functions
- Lead Fall Fundraiser and other donor related events throughout the year
- Be a passionate and tireless representative and advocate for Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
- Provide revenue forecasts and other analysis to stakeholders
- Work with Chief Conservation Scientist to bridge programmatic and organizational funding needs
- Collaborate with Communications Director on promotions, collateral, appeals and fundraising materials
- Supervise grant writer and assist with philanthropic grant opportunities
- Development Committee liaison
- Provide training and guidance regarding fundraising best practices to staff and board with the support of Executive Director
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
- 5-10 years of proven nonprofit fundraising experience
- Strong foundation of best practices fundraising knowledge
- Knowledge of the Denver/Front Range philanthropic community
- Proficient in fundraising software, DonorPerfect, a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience with email marketing platforms, a plus
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings, weekends, overnights along the Front Range
- Ability to travel to multiple locations in a single day
- Willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and be hands on
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work in a standard office setting, with considerable sitting, standing and viewing of computer
- Mid-level stress.
- Requires reaching continually throughout the workday (mouse, keyboard, telephone).
- May include lifting up to thirty (30) pounds of project gear on an infrequent basis. Proper lifting techniques required.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Standard office equipment (e.g. laptop, printers); PC with MS Office software applications.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please submit a one-page cover letter and resume in ONE document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until April 23. Preference is given to applications submitted before April 16.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor. Nothing in this job description shall create or is intended to create, or shall be construed to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied. Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.