Visitor Services Representative
Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art
As a Visitor Services Representative, you are responsible for part-time work at the front desk, within galleries, during exhibition installation, and in the administrative offices during weekdays, weekends, and after hours programs/events as scheduled. We welcome ages 16-100 to apply to this position.
Your key responsibilities include but are not limited to, welcoming visitors to the museum; distributing surveys; collecting admissions; answering and directing phone calls; telling visitors basic information about exhibitions, completing Museum Store sales; selling memberships; gallery monitoring; working with the Operations & Events Manager for after hours programming/events; assisting with exhibition installation/de-installation; and acting as basic security for the museum. Visitor Services Representatives report to the Operations & Events Manager.Specific Job Functions:
● Welcome all guests of BMoCA at the front desk.
● Sell tickets for events and admissions and sell items from the museum store by using the Point of Sale system.
● Answer and direct all phone calls to administrative staff.
● Inform visitors about and sell BMoCA memberships.
● Distribute and collect museum visitor surveys.
● Ensure daily sales income is deposited with administration staff.
● Record and report museum visitor zip codes.
● Check, reply, and forward emails to appropriate staff.
● Stay aware of current and upcoming exhibitions and events occurring at the museum.
● Enter information about visitors, members, and events into BMoCA’s Attendance Master.
● Answer basic questions about programs, exhibitions, and the museum.
● Assist with maintaining Museum Store inventory and management.
● Assist with directing volunteers at the museum.
● Assist with directing individuals completing court-ordered community service at the museum.
● Perform special projects and other related duties as directed by BMoCA staff.
● Monitor gallery spaces, inform visitors of basic exhibit curatorial content, and provide basic exhibition interpretation.
● Maintain and clean galleries, event spaces, and public spaces ensuring general museum cleanliness; Clean, sweep and mop of gallery spaces before and after events.
● Maintain facility, and monitor cleaning supplies and report to Operations & Events Manager on supplies that need to be restocked.
● Monitor and report gallery and artwork status to Exhibitions Staff.
● Work during on-site and off-site events, assisting with set up and clean up and serving as a front desk attendant, gallery attendant, bartender, and or server.
● Assist Exhibitions Staff with installation and maintaining of galleries as needed, no experience necessary.
● Patch/sand/paint walls and pedestals between exhibitions as necessary.
● Assist with installing vinyl/lights in the galleries as directed.
● Assist with placing and hanging artwork as directed.
● Previous work or volunteer experience that proves strong customer service and interpersonal skills (ex. retail, servers, receptionists, etc.).
● Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
● Ability to communicate in Spanish both verbally and in writing is a huge plus.
● Ability to work weekends is required and flexibility to work some evenings preferred.
● Interested or involvement with the arts or museums preferred.
● Motivation and interest in helping with exhibition installation.
● Ability to safely carry 50lbs of weight.
● Ability to routinely walk up and down stairs.
● Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
● Ability to manage details and work on multiple projects at a time.
● Living within easy commuting distance of Boulder.
● General iPad/computer knowledge and how to use apps is a plus (Google Docs, Gmail, Google Drive).
● A valid driver’s license is a plus.
● Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Hours and Compensation:
The Visitor Services Representative position is part-time for 10-24 hours per week depending on events, rentals, and exhibitions. Weekend availability is required. You will be required to attend occasional off-site and on-site events in the evenings. The hourly rate for this position is $13.50-$14.25/hour based on experience. This position does not include health benefits and paid vacations.
Boulder Museum of Contempoary Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.