PlatteForum’s executive director, Kim Estes McCarty is retiring at the end of October. Read more on her retirement here. PlatteForum’s board of directors is now searching for a new leader to continue the organization’s expansion of programming and impact.
Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
FLSA status: Exempt, full-time
PlatteForum is seeking a new executive director to take its award-winning programming to the next level. Founded in 2002 as a community organization to provide resources to professional artists and youth through collaboration and the creative process, PlatteForum has grown into a nationally recognized artist residency and youth program that is a hybrid community center, arts studio, and gallery. PlatteForum expects to continue the expansion of our reach and impact and we envision our new executive director to be forefront in this effort.
At PlatteForum, youth work side by side with resident artists to collaboratively plan, produce, and exhibit a body of work in an environment in which artistic excellence is highly valued. Youth in PlatteForum’s programs delve into a variety of art forms, confronting social justice issues and making life-changing discoveries about who they are, what they can achieve, and where they belong in the world. PlatteForum’s award-winning, ArtLab high school internship is the cornerstone of our youth programming, which uses the arts to empower teens to graduate on time, prepare for post-secondary success, and use their voices to create positive change in their community.
Using the arts as a bridge, we connect youth and artists with resources
to reach their full potential.
We envision a world where youth and artists have no boundaries to
- Creative expression – We are an inspiring and uncensored space that ignites artistic
exploration and self-awareness.
- Collaboration – We push boundaries and create partnerships to amplify our impact.
- Inclusivity – We celebrate and value diverse perspectives and believe in equity for
- Community – We foster provocative conversations and action on social issues that
are important to our community.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The executive director is responsible for leading PlatteForum and delivering the organization’s mission, vision, and values in partnership with the staff and board of directors. This will be accomplished through the following responsibilities and duties:
- Supervise, train, and motivate diverse professionals who make up the staff, providing guidance, resources, and professional development to enhance and support the organization’s culture.
- Cultivate and expand the organization’s diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility practices and standards, while championing the cultural and funding communities’ DEIA efforts, as well.
- Together with the board of directors and staff, develop and execute the organization’s current and next strategic plan.
- Increase the visibility, prominence, financial resources, relevance, growth, and community impact of PlatteForum.
- Act as the primary ambassador of PlatteForum within the community at large.
- Serve on PlatteForum’s board of directors as a non-voting member, guiding the governing body in partnership with the board’s executive committee.
Outreach & Engagement:
- Cultivate and grow PlatteForum’s “family,” which includes funders, supporters, partners, board of directors, volunteers, and most importantly the youth, artists, and communities we serve.
- Meet or exceed PlatteForum’s annual revenue requirements of $520,000+, per year.
- Together with the Fundraising/Marketing Committee and appropriate staff, develop and execute a robust funding and earned revenue plan that increases revenue diversity and stability.
- Oversee the development and staff execution of a robust marketing and communications plan that is tied to the organization’s strategic, DEIA and fundraising plans.
- Oversee the development and staff execution of robust programming plans and creative vision that provides the necessary resources to increase positive impact to our community.
- Review and provide feedback to staff and board on the selection of new artists and high school interns to ensure all the selection process meets all DEIA and legal standards.
- Manage all financial processes in collaboration with PlatteForum’s bookkeeper, audit firm, and the board’s executive committee, including, liability insurance, monthly financial reports, accounts receivable, accounts payable, annual financial review (or audit), all bank accounts, 990 and state tax filings, and other financial duties as needed.
- In collaboration with PlatteForum’s bookkeeper and board of directors, manage all Human Resources functions, including payroll, taxes, insurance, benefits, performance management, records retention, etc, ensuring all local, state, and federal laws and compliance are strictly followed, as well as PlatteForum’s DEIA standards.
- Working with the board of directors, manage all facilities contracts and negations to make certain PlatteForum has a sustainable and affordable home.
- In partnership with the board’s executive committee, ensure all legal contracts and agreements that protect the organization are in accordance with local, state, and federal law.
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience:
- Preference will be given to individuals who reflect the communities we serve.
- A strong commitment to servant leadership is essential.
- Executive leadership experience is a must, preferably in arts administration, fundraising, non-profit management, or a related field.
- Proven success and extensive experience in fundraising, donor relations, and stewardship, preferably with annual budgets of $500,000+.
- Strong belief in art and creativity as an empowering tool for youth and artist success.
- Passion for promoting social justice and working with historically marginalized communities.
- Basic understanding of nonprofit fund accounting and financial processes including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, 990 filings, and bank reconciliation.
- A responsibility to servant leadership and strong diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility standards.
- Able to process information and manage responsibilities from multiple sources.
- Must be a strategic and creative thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Supervisory experience with staffs of 5 to 10 individuals is critical.
- Ability to thrive in a team-oriented and creative environment, working with a diverse group of artists, youth, board members, donors, and community members.
- Highly organized and demonstrated success in juggling changing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking engagements at intimate gatherings and large, public events.
- A sense of humor is a must.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Related and demonstrated experience will be welcomed in lieu of a bachelor’s or higher degree.
- Must pass criminal and background check/investigation and sign a confidentiality agreement prior to an offer of employment.
Salary: $70,000 – $85,0000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits: Paid health insurance (for base plan), generous paid flex time, sick time, and holiday pay.
Starting date: September 2021
Please email resume and cover letter with the subject line “executive director applicant” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to Apply: Resume and cover letter must be submitted before midnight on June 28, 2021. Please do not send additional documents or materials. Please no emails, phone calls, or electronic messages to current staff or board members.
PlatteForum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Should an offer of employment be extended to an applicant, employment with PlatteForum is at-will and is subject to all Denver City & County, Colorado State, and Federal laws.Apply Here